[SOLVED] Upgrading to 5800x3D

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
My motherboard is an msi b450m bazooka max wifi, and it is paired with a ryzen 3 3100.
Will this motherboard suffice in terms of vrm quality to power a ryzen 7 5800x3D?

Solution
My motherboard is an msi b450m bazooka max wifi, and it is paired with a ryzen 3 3100.
Will this motherboard suffice in terms of vrm quality to power a ryzen 7 5800x3D?
It's got a fairly decent VRM but not what you'll find on many B550 boards. It definitely won't hurt to try it before looking for another motherboard. Gaming, in most cases and a 5800X3d's main purpose for being, isn't really all that heavy with CPU loading on all cores so shouldn't present a heavy load on the VRM. If trying to render videos or such is when the core loading is maxed and the VRM will be most heavily taxed.

MSI does provide good monitoring features so you can check VRM temps as you're using it. If temps run above 100-105C it might be a good idea to...
It will run the chip. However if you need a 5800X3D then to me it suggests you are doing something relatively heavy, high end gaming, video editing or blender workloads for example.

It's a premium CPU with a budget board, those VRM's are likely going to run hot. If it were me I'd pair it with a better board, something like an MSI B550 Mag Mortar for example.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I've read around and seen a few videos on that board and it should do alright with a 5800x3d, its VRM isn't that bad and some reviews of people running the 3950x in some with a warm but not throttling VRM, it's better than some, but I would suggest that you have some airflow around that area, The board will need a bios update prior to installing the 5800x3d, I don't see any reason why that CPU won't work reliably on that board.

Good luck!

Reactions: white.a.drew
It's got a fairly decent VRM but not what you'll find on many B550 boards. It definitely won't hurt to try it before looking for another motherboard. Gaming, in most cases and a 5800X3d's main purpose for being, isn't really all that heavy with CPU loading on all cores so shouldn't present a heavy load on the VRM. If trying to render videos or such is when the core loading is maxed and the VRM will be most heavily taxed.

MSI does provide good monitoring features so you can check VRM temps as you're using it. If temps run above 100-105C it might be a good idea to look for another board. It's still 'safe' though as the FET's are good for 125C operation so that gives you time to source a good board at a good price. If temps are borderline and money's an object then zip-tieing a small fan (50mm or so) to blow on the heatsink can help a lot.

Finally: many, if not most, overheating VRM's can be traced to monster air CPU heatsinks that don't allow airflow across the VRM's heatsink. That's often fixed by turning it around so the fan is pulling air through the heatsink instead. A fan on the 'pull' side stirs up the air so it's blowing across the VRM heatsink. A fan push side makes air comes out nice and linear (the fins) straight into the exhaust fan on the back leaving the VRM heatsink in a dead air zone.

Last edited:
Solution
Save the expensive of a new motherboard and rig a fan pointing at your current boards VRMs
I honestly doubt he'd even need to do that, I don't have any experience with that board so take it with a grain of salt I guess, 1 guy was talking about a 5800x in that board and the vrms were topping out at 72C which is well within the safe limit, and the 5800x does use a little bit more juice. Just even some moving air I think he'd be fine.

If the Bazooka Max is the same as the vanilla Bazooka, and Bazooka Plus, then it's 4+2 phases. Not exactly robust. General consensus is nothing stronger than a 5600x if overclocking anything, or a 5800x with no OC'ing at all. Given the 5800x3d won't OC (or at least one shouldn't bother with bclk) then it should be okay.

Hard to know for sure.

Here'e a list of B550 mobo's and their VRM set ups if you choose to go that route with an upgrade of mobo: B550 VRM DB sheet (Ver 1.8) - Google Sheets