[SOLVED] upgrading to a 2080 ti

mgxrder07

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
so im looking into a 2080 ti (have a 4k set up and my 1070 ti inst cutting it) and was wondering if i had any config issues
specs
az370 prime 2 mother board with i7-8700k (non oc atm)
the cooler is a dual 120 mm fan from cooler master its the ma610p i think
32gb ddr4 oc fom 2400 to 3200mhz
os drive is an evo 860 500 gb ssd(in rapid storage mode)
game drive 1tb evo 860 ssd
and a corsair cx750m psu (bronze rating)
the case is a thermal take with 3 120 intake fans and 1 120 exhaust fan(cant remember the model (stays cool)

anything you see here (possibly the quality of the psu) that would make the 2080 ti under perform or bottleneck my system in any way would be nice to know!

thanks in advance

Solution
That PSU scares me to run any kind of performance system on. Gold/Bronze etc efficiencies mean nothing if voltage regulation is poor. Upgrade the PSU unless you like to be risky.
I have zero biases against Corsair they make really good units and unfortunately like pretty much everyone else they make crap too. EVGA and SeaSonic are also not excempt from crap. EVGA has been my goto brand for some time now since usually the G3 (use to be G2)/P2 units were the cheapest and absolute best quality units on sale at any price. With the exception of sales from SeaSonic and a few others they always stood out usually slightly above "good units" in terms of performance and on par with them in terms of price.

The CX green label was the most...
I think it's fine.

even though some may argue that your psu is a bronze unit as oppose to 80+gold or higher.

it should do it's job fine. i think this PSU is on par or better than the OEM PSU from dell/hp running reference 200ti.

mgxrder07

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
You are free to take any risks you like...

As far as the OP's question all someone would need to do is look at the NewEgg review of that power supply to know it's questionable.
yeah ive had it for 3is years and its been great i thought it would solve an old issue on a pc that i upgraded from and yeah long story on that one. would running the card on this psu for lets say a week or should i wait until i get a higher ratted psu and not chance it?

If it was me I would invest in a good Gold or better rated SeaSonic with a proper 12v rail to handle the current draw of the 2080ti. The Corsair you have may be fine...I had the same unit and it failed with an over clocked Radeon R390 so my opinion is admittedly slightly biased against Corsair.

That PSU scares me to run any kind of performance system on. Gold/Bronze etc efficiencies mean nothing if voltage regulation is poor. Upgrade the PSU unless you like to be risky.
I have zero biases against Corsair they make really good units and unfortunately like pretty much everyone else they make crap too. EVGA and SeaSonic are also not excempt from crap. EVGA has been my goto brand for some time now since usually the G3 (use to be G2)/P2 units were the cheapest and absolute best quality units on sale at any price. With the exception of sales from SeaSonic and a few others they always stood out usually slightly above "good units" in terms of performance and on par with them in terms of price.

The CX green label was the most overrated PSU ever and I hated the guts out of them for that. Everyone I would talk to had a CX in their system and several had failures not of just the PSU but other components too. Which led me to steer people away from them as much as possible when usually a GOD performance unit like the G2 or now the G3 is only 20-30 bucks more. Eat out less or something its totally worth it for the extra quality/stability you get.

Now the CX is grey label and its improved but still no match for a G3 (or similarly matched unit) I now deem the CX (grey) to be acceptable in budget builds but would prefer to see the RM/RMx used if you like Corsair, SeaSonic FOCUS, or a G3 from EVGA among dozens of other good units too.

Solution