Question Upgrading to a 5700x or 5800x3d from a 2600x?

Jun 19, 2023
Hello! I am planning on upgrading my current 2600x to either a 5700x or a 5800x3d. The total price difference from me would be around 160 USD. I will use it together with a 3060 Ti and play on 1440p. Do you believe that this additional cost would be worth it? The main benefit I see is that the 5800x3d will "survive" and be a great cpu for more years than the 5700x, therefore I will be able to keep it for longer and might save money in the future. Although, I have an Asus B450-f Gaming Rev.1 with Pcie Gen 3. Will this motherboard be good enough until I upgrade the x3d in many years from now, and keep up with a GPU upgrade in a couple of years?

Thank you very much!

Reactions: artk2219

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
from a pure gaming perspective, the x3d is the better cpu. but at 1440p the cpu is taxed less so the 5700x is likely good enough if you don't have the budget to spare. if you got the money, then of course there is no harm in going for the best for the socket. :)

no reason the mobo will all of a sudden "not be good enough". it'll run the cpu, gpu and storage you need. that's all it needs to be good enough. i have a b450 board with a 5900x and don't plan on upgrading for a long time when it's obviously needed. i can upgrade the gpu as needed (recently bought a 6750xt so i good for a long while)

so long as the board still fits your needs, no reason to worry about it. the x3d is actually lower power usage than the 5700x so it will actually be easier on the power delivery of the mobo!

Jun 19, 2023
from a pure gaming perspective, the x3d is the better cpu. but at 1440p the cpu is taxed less so the 5700x is likely good enough if you don't have the budget to spare. if you got the money, then of course there is no harm in going for the best for the socket. :)

no reason the mobo will all of a sudden "not be good enough". it'll run the cpu, gpu and storage you need. that's all it needs to be good enough. i have a b450 board with a 5900x and don't plan on upgrading for a long time when it's obviously needed. i can upgrade the gpu as needed (recently bought a 6750xt so i good for a long while)

so long as the board still fits your needs, no reason to worry about it. the x3d is actually lower power usage than the 5700x so it will actually be easier on the power delivery of the mobo!
Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, you're right about the mobo. I guess I could just upgrade it in the future to a used b550 board for cheap if I need :) I feel like it's easier to regret not spending 160 USD more, so I will probably go for the x3d

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i can ALWAYS talk myself into getting the next step up. then that next step is within reach and i can usually justify it to myself..... and so on and so on... lol

i needed more cores so i went with the 5900x. but if i did not, i'd have got the x3d as well. last cpu for the socket and the prices have come down so much it was hard to resist.

Hello! I am planning on upgrading my current 2600x to either a 5700x or a 5800x3d. The total price difference from me would be around 160 USD. I will use it together with a 3060 Ti and play on 1440p. Do you believe that this additional cost would be worth it? The main benefit I see is that the 5800x3d will "survive" and be a great cpu for more years than the 5700x, therefore I will be able to keep it for longer and might save money in the future. Although, I have an Asus B450-f Gaming Rev.1 with Pcie Gen 3. Will this motherboard be good enough until I upgrade the x3d in many years from now, and keep up with a GPU upgrade in a couple of years?

Thank you very much!
From a pure gaming perspective the 5800X3D is definitely the better CPU to get. Another interesting option when it gets release may be the Ryzen 5 5600X3D since itll be around $200, but theres no solid release date, best I've seen is "before the end of 2023", so the 5800X3D is the one to get if you're shopping for something right now.

Jun 19, 2023
From a pure gaming perspective the 5800X3D is definitely the better CPU to get. Another interesting option when it gets release may be the Ryzen 5 5600X3D since itll be around $200, but theres no solid release date, best I've seen is "before the end of 2023", so the 5800X3D is the one to get if you're shopping for something right now.
Thank you for the reply! I have looked at the 5600x3D and it does look interesting, but I would be able to get the 5800x3D at a heavily discounted price in my country (around 300 USD instead of 420 USD), and I'm not sure if the 5600x3D would be priced lower than that here :)