Question Upgrading to a new GPU with old existing components, do I need to worry about bottlenecking?

Feb 6, 2023
Hi all,

I had a few questions I was hoping the more tech savvy would be able to answer; I'm thinking about upgrading my GPU in my current system (which is getting on for probably 10 years old now but runs incredibly well) and I'm wondering if the below GPU's would suit the current build, where my knowledge falls short is potential bottlenecking of other components.

Would the below build be able to handle any/all of the considered GPU's?

Build:
Overclocked CPU Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-4770k Quad Core (3.50GHz @ max 4.40GHz)
Motherboard ASUS® Z87-PRO: USB3.0, SATA 6GB/S, XFIRE, SLi, WiFi
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB KIT)
Graphics Card NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070
edit Power Supply CORSAIR 850W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX850 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE

GPU's considered:
  1. Asus GeForce RTX 3070 Ti ROG Strix OC 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
  2. Asus GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix Gaming LHR 12GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card
  3. Asrock Radeon RX 7900 XTX AQUA OC 24GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
This is with the idea that I would also get a new monitor @2560x1440, if that helps.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

CJ

Last edited:

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Even at 1440p, I believe that old 4th gen i7 would hold any of those cards back. I wouldn't use that old PSU either. To be perfectly honest, you would be better off with a whole new rig, if you can afford to.

Yeah, I agree.....don't see anything in your components list that is worth to keep using when you really want to get most of your monitors resolution for 1440p gaming....

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You could do a platform upgrade on the cheap.

B660 motherboard, i3-12100F, and some decent DDR4 3600. That will only run you about $250-300. Or you could preemptively by a nicer motherboard. Get your new GPU and then wait a bit before grabbing something like an i5-13600K or more.