Question Upgrading to an AIO for my Ryzen 5 3600 - 120mm or 240mm?

noname223

Prominent
May 15, 2023
Hey everyone! I'm planning to upgrade to an AIO cooler for my PC. Right now, I'm using a Ryzen 5 3600 (stock, no overclock) with a push-pull air cooler setup (Snowman 4-heatpipe cooler). My primary use cases are gaming and video editing/rendering in Premiere Pro. When editing/rendering, my temps hit 60-80°C, with 80°C being the max during full video exports. Idle temps range from 45-55°C.

My main goal is to reduce these temps, but I'd like to save money if possible. Would a 120mm AIO be enough for my needs, especially compared to my current air cooler? Also, if I upgrade to a Ryzen 5 5600X in the future, would a 120mm AIO still handle the temps during video editing and rendering?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

PC Specs:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motherboard: MSI A520M-A Pro
  • GPU: RX 580 8GB
  • RAM: 32GB
  • PSU: 650W
  • Case: Inplay Meteor 20 ATX (random budget case)

Lutfij

Titan
Also, if I upgrade to a Ryzen 5 5600X in the future, would a 120mm AIO still handle the temps during video editing and rendering?
I would advise on going with a 240mm AIO. I honestly don't know why 120mm's exist since they aren't exactly the best option even in an SFF build.

Hang on.

Snowman 4-heatpipe cooler
Can you pass on a link to the coolera?

Case: Inplay Meteor 20 ATX (random budget case)
I'm seeing that Inplay have a number of cases in the Meteor series. Does your case have a mesh front panel? If so, how much air is being pushed towards the inside of the case? What are you ambient room air temps?