GadgetNewb

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
Hi guys

Specs:
Gtx 1080
i5 4690K @ 4.4 Ghz
Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB 1600 Mhz

Would I get much of a performance increase would I get if for example I upgraded to 2x4 @ 2400Mhz with my current build?

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of your motherboard? If you're on a non Z series chipset, then anything above 1600MHz is downclocked/locked to DDR3-1600MHz. Also state the make and model of your PSU and if you're on an aftermarket cooler.

Spinachy

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Intel CPUs are not as sensitive to RAM speed as AMD CPUs. Dual Channel is faster than single channel, but you will need a benchmark test to see the difference - you will not feel any difference at the keyboard. Your machine will feel slightly faster if you add an ADDITIONAL 8Gb memory stick, that matches your current one. This is because more memory will have a bigger impact on speed of applications than faster memory.

To see dual-channel vs. Single Channel benchmarks, you can view this page : https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel/Page-3

You can check your BIOS for "XMP" profiles, and set it to use a faster one. This may have a tiny effect on applications.

GadgetNewb

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014

My motherboard is Asus Z97-P and PSU is be quiet System Power 9 600 Watt 80+ Bronze