[SOLVED] Upgrading to FX-8350 (Ga 970A-D3)

Feb 27, 2019
hey everyone,
so my computer has a Gigabyte 970A-D3 (rev. 3.0) (BIOS Version FD, 1/25/2013) motherboard and an AMD FX-8120 Processor.
and i was thinking of upgrading to AMD FX-8350 but i've done some research and i've seen some people saying that's not really a good idea and the motherboard is just on the limits with the processor, others said it'd be compatible and it would work fine. but that didn't make things clear im wondering if i should do it or not so any clear slightly detailed answers would be appreciated.

Solution
First things first: 8350 would definitely work on your motherboard, no compatibility issues whatsoever.

But you are looking at the 20% improvement at best, while also using more power and generating more heat (8350 is a 125W TDP part, while your current CPU is 95W).

Bottom line: upgrade is possible, but not worth it due to extremely low improvement in performance. If you have performance issues now, 20% won't help you. A full platform upgrade is advised.
First things first: 8350 would definitely work on your motherboard, no compatibility issues whatsoever.

But you are looking at the 20% improvement at best, while also using more power and generating more heat (8350 is a 125W TDP part, while your current CPU is 95W).

Bottom line: upgrade is possible, but not worth it due to extremely low improvement in performance. If you have performance issues now, 20% won't help you. A full platform upgrade is advised.

Solution