Question Upgrading to RTX 3070 from GTX 980 Ti Please need suggest if i require PSU upgrade as well.

Aug 15, 2022
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here. Please guide me.

Firstly this is my current config.

Intel Core i7 4770K (No overclock)
Antec C400 Glacial 120 mm cpu Air cooler
Gigabyte G1.Sniper B5 Motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance DDR3 4 GB x 3 total of 12 gb ram
2 x 3.5inch HDD and 1 x 2.5 inch SSD
Asus strix 980 Ti
5 x Case Fans CORSAIR
Seasonic S12II 620 Watts (bronze rated)

As i am planning to upgrade to I5 12400F + EVGA RTX 3070

the recommended PSU for RTX 3070 is 650 Watt do i need to upgrade my PSU.
this is the upgrade path am thinking https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XG74PX
the total wattage is around 461 watts so that like 74% of my 620 watt Seasonic S12II
Secondly the PSU came with a 8 pin and 6 pin connector for 980 Ti requires 2 x 8 pin connectors i am using a 6-pin to 8-pin PCI Express Power Converter Cable. Since RTX 3070 is also 2 x 8 pin connector will this be a problem.

logainofhades

Titan
No you dont, as long is a high quality and s12II is a good quality you should be fine, it should handle the transient spikes very good, for goodness sake logainofhades, i run a 10900k at 5ghz and 3090 at 103% power with a sfx 650W psu without any problems, we are talking about a 3070 here he should be more then fine as long it can withstand the transient spikes and i think it will.

OP try it like this, you cannot do any damage if it is too small, only thing that can happen is that when the transient spike comes and if the psu cannot handle it, it will shut down. Thats all.

Aug 15, 2022
thanks for your reply. The PSU you suggested is not available in my area. how about this EVGA SuperNova 750 GT this is available at a e seller site in my area.

logainofhades

Titan
No you dont, as long is a high quality and s12II is a good quality you should be fine, it should handle the transient spikes very good, for goodness sake logainofhades, i run a 10900k at 5ghz and 3090 at 103% power with a sfx 650W psu without any problems, we are talking about a 3070 here he should be more then fine as long it can withstand the transient spikes and i think it will.

OP try it like this, you cannot do any damage if it is too small, only thing that can happen is that when the transient spike comes and if the psu cannot handle it, it will shut down. Thats all.

The S12II is an old design and not suitable for the power spikes of an RTX 30 series. Older seasonics in general have been known to have issues, with RTX 30 series power spikes. Your PSU is on borrowed time, with that setup.

thanks for your reply. The PSU you suggested is not available in my area. how about this EVGA SuperNova 750 GT this is available at a e seller site in my area.

Which country are you located? Makes it easier to find a suitable unit. The EVGA GT line isn't all that great.

Aug 15, 2022

Thanks for your reply. will the 6-pin to 8-pin PCI Express Power Converter Cable be a problem.

Aug 15, 2022
The S12II is an old design and not suitable for the power spikes of an RTX 30 series. Older seasonics in general have been known to have issues, with RTX 30 series power spikes. Your PSU is on borrowed time, with that setup.

Which country are you located? Makes it easier to find a suitable unit. The EVGA GT line isn't all that great.
From INDIA. Saw gamer nexus review of EVGA SuperNova 750 GT (Gigabyte, This is How a PSU is Supposed to Work (EVGA 750 GT SuperNova) )

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Your siggy says 1000 watt.

Silverstone SX1000 Platinum (1000W)

OP try it like this, you cannot do any damage
Anybody who actually believes this to be true honestly has no business offering advice to anybody else. You can ABSOLUTELY cause damage to a system with a graphics card that has as high of known spikes as the 3000 series cards have, especially when we are talking about a PSU that first of all barely meets the average recommended capacity for the given graphics card model, not factoring in any spikes, overclocking or the fact that the power supply is likely not able to supply the same power it did when it was new due to degradation over time, but also the fact that that PSU lacks some important and relevant protections found on more modern platforms.

The S12II units are "ok" in some cases, especially for older hardware or hardware that isn't especially power hungry OR especially valuable, but I sure as hell wouldn't use one with any new-ish high end system that greatly valued. If you can afford a 3070, you can afford a decent power supply to go with it. If you can't, then you really either don't need that graphics card as bad as you think you do or you need to wait and save some money until you CAN afford a quality power supply that doesn't put any of your new hardware at risk.

Aug 15, 2022
Anybody who actually believes this to be true honestly has no business offering advice to anybody else. You can ABSOLUTELY cause damage to a system with a graphics card that has as high of known spikes as the 3000 series cards have, especially when we are talking about a PSU that first of all barely meets the average recommended capacity for the given graphics card model, not factoring in any spikes, overclocking or the fact that the power supply is likely not able to supply the same power it did when it was new due to degradation over time, but also the fact that that PSU lacks some important and relevant protections found on more modern platforms.

The S12II units are "ok" in some cases, especially for older hardware or hardware that isn't especially power hungry OR especially valuable, but I sure as hell wouldn't use one with any new-ish high end system that greatly valued. If you can afford a 3070, you can afford a decent power supply to go with it. If you can't, then you really either don't need that graphics card as bad as you think you do or you need to wait and save some money until you CAN afford a quality power supply that doesn't put any of your new hardware at risk.

Ya just was suffering other forums to see if anyone else had any problems found this. Going to wait and buy a new PSU.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Adapters for high-powered devices are for fools, wussies, and people with moar $$ than brains........ Either use the proper cables, or go home & make sure your fire extinguisher & smoke detector(s) are ready for use.... you're gonna need them both....

As for the size of your PSU is concerned, you can NEVA, EVA go wrong by having one that is a little higher wattage than what you actually need, but the opposite is true with one that is too small....

However, if you don't care about your computer and/or have the money to replace it, then by all means, use a psu that is too small with the adapters, but pleeze, make sure you DO NOT come back here to whine about what happens :D

Adapters for high-powered devices are for fools, wussies, and people with moar $$ than brains........ Either use the proper cables, or go home & make sure your fire extinguisher & smoke detector(s) are ready for use.... you're gonna need them both....

As for the size of your PSU is concerned, you can NEVA, EVA go wrong by having one that is a little higher wattage than what you actually need, but the opposite is true with one that is too small....

However, if you don't care about your computer and/or have the money to replace it, then by all means, use a psu that is too small with the adapters, but pleeze, make sure you DO NOT come back here to whine about what happens :D
I understand the sentiment and can appreciate your enthusiasm, however a few things with this post don't seem to work for me.

For one, people with more dollars than brains tend to OVER buy, like, buy a 1000w PSU when all they need is a 650w model, in which case they are not going to end up with a lack of necessary connectors or try to use adapters. People who try to use adapters are generally people without enough money OR brains.

Secondly, I didn't notice the OP whining about anything so I'm really not sure how that is relevant AND more importantly, we want to try and be civil and help people around here, not chase them off by being rude. Just some things to think about before posting. Thanks.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Secondly, I didn't notice the OP whining about anything so I'm really not sure how that is relevant AND more importantly, we want to try and be civil and help people around here, not chase them off by being rude. Just some things to think about before posting. Thanks.

I guess you somehow overlooked the smiley face at the end of my last paragraph, but I wasn't trying to be rude or chase anyone away.... just honest & up front, in so much as letting the OP know that if they somehow got the impression that is was in anyway ok to use a too-small psu or adapters for high-powered gpu's, then he/she would probably fall into the "you reap what you sow" or "you broke it, you fix it" because they didn't take our advice seriously category...

So if I hurt anyone's feelings, I apologize, that was not my intent :D

I know what i talking about bcuz i had S12II 520W, S12II 620W, and yes my sig says 1000W but i ran for more then a year on NZXT 650W which came with the case (NZXT H1), Seasonic S12II has some very good protections, including overpower and overcurrent, i do not know what experience you have with this psus but i had and i can tell you that all my seasonic psus from S12II series will shutdown cleanly when they are forced too much, you had no right to insult me like that, its like i m saying you was a sh*t moderator bcuz you have no experience with seasonic psus, i really did not deserve that insult from you and i repeat i tested extensively this S12II PSUs and they are very well protected no damage had occured no matter how much i forced them, they will just shutdown. the 520W i managed to get out of it around 700W continuously before it shutdowned without burning anything in my pc, evenmore it continued to work without any problems when i started the pc again.

Last edited:
S12II 520w and 620w lacks OCP and OTP. It must be OPP , OVP or UVP that triggered the PSU to shut down.
I just checked yea you are right, OPP, OVP, UVP, SCP this is the protections it has, but what i remember is that i forced the crap out of them multiple times and they did not want to die even for extended periods of time they hold power over the rated power (600W for the 520W one), stable, thermally, and voltage filtration (measured with an osciloscope), i still have them after around 8-10 years dont remmeber exactly and they are in fully functional shape. Either it supported the power without any issues, either it will shut down very clean, i did not managed to kill one.

Lacking protections is lacking protections, period. And these newer architectures are pushing the exact problems that those protections which are lacking on those units would protect against. So, what happened with your system and your older hardware has literally nothing at all to do with this discussion. I understand, fully, that those S12II units are not the worst possible choice for some people in areas and regions where better units with more modern platforms and the full suite of protections aren't readily available or affordable, but the bottom line is that they should be at the bottom of the list of what's acceptable today, and nowhere else.

I just checked yea you are right, OPP, OVP, UVP, SCP this is the protections it has, but what i remember is that i forced the crap out of them multiple times and they did not want to die even for extended periods of time they hold power over the rated power (600W for the 520W one), stable, thermally, and voltage filtration (measured with an osciloscope), i still have them after around 8-10 years dont remmeber exactly and they are in fully functional shape. Either it supported the power without any issues, either it will shut down very clean, i did not managed to kill one.

Accept that you are wrong on this.