[SOLVED] Upgrading to RTX 3090 has nearly bricked my computer

cspj

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Upgrading to this GPU from a 2070, it started fine, I tried to isntall new graphics driver, and the computer rebooted. Upon reboot, the monitor would go black every few seconds, and there was a notification saying something like “force to reinstall gpu driver,” but nothing happened when I would click on this notification. Neither could I get passed the “agree” screen in Geforce experience. I tried restarting, and my computer starting freezing on the black screen with blue windows logo. The white circles would stop rotating. I tried repairing startup, and this appeared to work but it still wouldn’t start. Then this stopped working, it said “failed to repair your PC.” So next I tried to reinstall windows from the local disk drive. It successfully uninstalled windows but then it crashed while reinstalling on the screen that says “your computer may restart several times.” Now I am attempting to reinstall again, this time from the cloud. Not super hopeful.

I have never heard of such problems from simply upgrading a gpu. What is happening?

Solution
It is best to wipe the graphics drivers when upgrading a CPU.
BUT FIRST!!!
Relax...you didn't brick your solid gold Unicorn (GTX 3090).
  1. Download and install https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
  2. Delete NVidia programs in "add/remove programs". Anything that comes from-NVidia just for piece of mind.
  3. Boot into safe mode
  4. run the downloaded Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)
  5. install as you normally would any graphics card.

You obviously know mostly what your doing (or you wouldn't have a 3090),so the I left out the little steps...how to boot into safe mode,etc

cspj

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers before removing the RTX2070 from the system? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Make and model of your motherboard?

Corsair SF 750 - less than 1 month old.
Did not use DDU.
Mobo is x570 mini itx with F32 bios version

Right now I’ve been stuck at 73% in “resetting this PC”

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
It is best to wipe the graphics drivers when upgrading a CPU.
BUT FIRST!!!
Relax...you didn't brick your solid gold Unicorn (GTX 3090).
  1. Download and install https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
  2. Delete NVidia programs in "add/remove programs". Anything that comes from-NVidia just for piece of mind.
  3. Boot into safe mode
  4. run the downloaded Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)
  5. install as you normally would any graphics card.

You obviously know mostly what your doing (or you wouldn't have a 3090),so the I left out the little steps...how to boot into safe mode,etc

Solution

TRENDING THREADS