Upgrading to Ryzen 1600

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Hello all,

I apologize in advance if Ryzen 1600 questions are monotonous, but I've decided to upgrade my OC'd i5 2500k. I have a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1, running Corsair DDR3 at 1600 MHz, and a 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor.

After looking at many benchmarks, it seems like the 1600 (when OC'd) presents great value at 1440p. I'm going to purchase a third party cooler and hope to hit 3.8 GHz, minimum. I've always had Intel, but I'd like to give AMD a shot, considering the value and future socket compatibility.

Can anyone recommend a solid B350 board and 3000 MHz DDR4 RAM? But, where I will be overclocking the 1600, should I choose an X370? I'm also still running Windows 7 64-bit (any issues?).

BTW, RAM prices are depressing here in Canada at the moment...

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Though I am running Asus Strix B350F, I think it is just enough for that level of overclocking. This board has some minor issues but there is not a single mobo in AM4 without a single issue. Most of the problem with ryzen boards are with RAM compatibility right now and possibility to support more than 3200Mhz ram. However Strix B350F is value for money but you can purchase X370 if you want to use more pcie lanes as well. But for a regular user I think B350s are way enough. Don't know much about MSI or Gigabite and their VRM quality. Just for a tip, check the quality of VRMs first before deciding any mobo as well as quality of VRM heat sink.

however Coffee lakes are superb for their price point and the way it overclocks. More...

AniChatt

Distinguished
Though I am running Asus Strix B350F, I think it is just enough for that level of overclocking. This board has some minor issues but there is not a single mobo in AM4 without a single issue. Most of the problem with ryzen boards are with RAM compatibility right now and possibility to support more than 3200Mhz ram. However Strix B350F is value for money but you can purchase X370 if you want to use more pcie lanes as well. But for a regular user I think B350s are way enough. Don't know much about MSI or Gigabite and their VRM quality. Just for a tip, check the quality of VRMs first before deciding any mobo as well as quality of VRM heat sink.

however Coffee lakes are superb for their price point and the way it overclocks. More importantly, you will observe less issues with compatibility. However Intel are expensive and their mobo are not future proof.

Solution

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Thanks for the insight. I've also thought about an i5 8600k upgrade, but there is absolutely no stock anywhere. I don't know if that will change any time soon.

AniChatt

Distinguished

So wait and watch for stocks. You are actually not that outdated with your 2500k. It will be better to go for 8600k if extra money and future mobo compatibility is not an issue. I have upgraded to ryzen only becs I want to use AMD and their value proposition at that time

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

I'm a bit eager, lol, but I will keep an eagle eye on PC Part Picker over the next few weeks.