Upgrading to SSD and reinstalling Windows 10 on a laptop

Ade96

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
Hey,
I have an older laptop that I bought used some time ago, which has a slow HDD that I'm swapping to an SSD. The laptop has Windows 10 Pro installed without any Microsoft account. If I log in with my own account, will the laptop become linked to my account so I don't have to buy a new Windows key when it's installed on the new SSD?

Solution
If its not linked to a Microsoft account, the license is likely attached to motherboard. That makes it easy to install it on new ssd. No need to link it to an account for that. I mean, you can if you want to but its not required for just a new SSD

Otherwise change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

License info is stored on Microsoft servers, PC will check to make sure the PC is listed on it as having an active win 10 license and will reactivate it. No need for logging in except...

Colif

Win 11 Master
If its not linked to a Microsoft account, the license is likely attached to motherboard. That makes it easy to install it on new ssd. No need to link it to an account for that. I mean, you can if you want to but its not required for just a new SSD

Otherwise change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

License info is stored on Microsoft servers, PC will check to make sure the PC is listed on it as having an active win 10 license and will reactivate it. No need for logging in except if you do, it may link the license to the email address for future needs.

Solution