Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7

UnBroken

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
When Windows 10 comes out, I know it's not for a while, I plan on buying an SSD and getting Windows 10. I currently have Windows 7 on my only HDD. I might buy another 1 TB HDD between now and then but I am not sure. So what I am wondering is if I want to put Windows 10 on my new SSD, would I have to uninstall Windows 7. And if I do, how would I do it. I know how to install Windows, but I am not sure if the process would be any different if I didn't uninstall Windows 7.

Solution
You can dual boot windows 10 with windows 7. This involves creating a separate partition for windows 10 to be installed on and being able to choose which OS you want to boot at start up. The install process for this is virtually the same but you need to select the partition that you created as the install location, the installer will take care of the rest.

Entomber

Admirable
Windows 10 has not been officially released yet, but I've heard rumors that to upgrade to Windows 10 you may be able to simply download and upgrade it like a Windows Update, similar to how users upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1.

However, if I were to upgrade to Windows 10 I would probably prefer to perform a clean install to be sure of no conflicts.

You can dual boot windows 10 with windows 7. This involves creating a separate partition for windows 10 to be installed on and being able to choose which OS you want to boot at start up. The install process for this is virtually the same but you need to select the partition that you created as the install location, the installer will take care of the rest.

Solution

UnBroken

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014

Ok. Thanks for the info.