Question Upgrading to Windows 11 from old system

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
My situation is that I'm in the midst of building a new system with parts arriving in the next week. It will be based around a i5-12400F with a GT 6600 card. My current system which I'm using will be replaced and not used again, my current system has Windows 10 64 bit. I obtained this version of originally by buying a Windows 7 Home edition in 2012 and upgrading for free to Windows 10 a few years ago. I originally thought that I would install Windows 10 into my new system but I am reconsidering.

All things considered, is it better to have Windows 10 or 11 on my system if I'm going for general use and light gaming? I heard that Windows 10 will continue to be supported until 2025 but if I have to switch over eventually than I figure switching now might be ideal since W11 has had a year to work out kinks.

Would installing Windows 11 simply be a matter of downloading the installation media into a USB and installing it like normal? I ask because I'm not sure if the fact I have Windows 10 and I want to upgrade direct to Windows 11 if that upgrade path will work? Should I try to enter my Windows 7 installation key or sign on my Windows account and let it configure itself that way?

I know my Windows 7 Pro cd-key I bought back in 2015 (with DVD installation media) still worked to activate Windows 11 Pro by simply downloading the installation media and using the key when it asks during installation on a freshly formatted drive. I did use my Microsoft online account, but I think it would work though I'm not sure.

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
@USAFRet so are you now saying that I can directly install W11 from the install media into my new system and it should work just fine even if my Windows account shows Windows 10 currently? I'm trying to avoid installing Windows 10 from the dl media and then starting all over for W11 right after.

@MrN1ce9uy did you upgrade from W7 to W10 and was it installed in your computer before you upgraded to W11 on a new system?
I was using it on Windows 10, upgraded to Windows 11. Later, decided to format and fresh install. Used the key to fresh install Windows 11 on the same system. Sometimes, in the past, I've had to call Microsoft to allow them to unlock a key I had previously installed on a different motherboard. However, this key has seen almost half a dozen motherboards over the past 7+ years.

I think to answer your question, you should be able to go straight to Windows 11 without having to first install Windows 10. That's how I went about it just last month.

USAFRet

Titan
@USAFRet so are you now saying that I can directly install W11 from the install media into my new system and it should work just fine even if my Windows account shows Windows 10 currently? I'm trying to avoid installing Windows 10 from the dl media and then starting all over for W11 right after.
Yes, sort of.

Originally, I thought you were trying to upgrade your existing WIn 10 to 11, also in the context of a whole new system.
Only one at a time.