Question upgrading which part of system?

Jun 25, 2019
Hey,

Im having a desktop system with some parts of 5-8 years old.
I did some upgrades every now and then replacing a single part.
Last week i was considering replacing the hard drives (or actually adding an ssd evo 970 to use as C and keeping my old hard drives as D for some files i don't use that often).
However i found out my motherboard doesn't even support that SSD anymore.
so that made me consider replacing the motherboard too.
Which brought up the problem of the processor... that needs to be replaced too then right? or is it backwards compatible?

Also can anyone see what the slowing factor is of my desktop? I think its the hard drives since they are the oldest parts but perhaps im not using my desktop efficient at all and does it have more factors that make it not work efficient (for example the grapic card is quite new but rest is old).
What would you recommend replacing and in which order? Im using it for gaming like: total war Warhammer 2, company of heroes 2, battlefield 5 etc.

Would appreciate your advice; i know some basics of desktops but not enough to spot the bottlenecks right away (except guessing based on how old the parts are).

my system: https://valid.x86.fr/cjd5b4

Jun 25, 2019
Get sata SSD instead. Samsung 860 evo or Crucial MX500 - for example.
Then you wouldn't have to change your motherboard.

If you decide to change your motherboard, you'll have to get a new cpu and ram also.

Thanks for the help m8

So that confirms the bottleneck in the system is the hard drives?
i thought about that solution as well but if the harddrives are not the only problem of this set up then im prepared to replace multiple parts ( i dont like it but its foolish to have a expensive GPU and have it be useless because of the rest of the system).

Jun 25, 2019
just checking that you clicked his link, albeit a lot info.

TC, what bottleneck are you experiencing? that display you got is 4K 60 hz and your current rig is not maybe up to snuff...

Well the performance is only medium; often i have to play still at low or medium graphics standards which I think is not that usual considering this GPU is not a year old yet.
Also the loading time of games is easily 3-5 mins which is the harddrives i think.
So i was guessing that the fact that gameplay is not completely smooth and i am forced to play on medium/low graphics might be a result of the old harddrives as well.

Jun 25, 2019
alright! well i have my answer;

buy ssd to reduce loadtimes: Crucial MX500 1TB
buy new ram to increase overall performance ingame; Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A1600C9B
lower graphics to 1440p to increase overall performance

thanks a lot guys! appreciate the help :)