[SOLVED] Upgrading?

Johnicc

Reputable
Jul 17, 2020
Hi,
I was thinking about upgrading my pc. My pc now is: Geforce 9600 GT, Amd Athlon 64 X2 5000+ with 4gb RAM. I found this pc build with a GTX 1050, I5-3470, 16gb RAM ddr3 for $260. Is it worth it?

Solution
You are in a car race. The cars are going around the track at 150-180mph. Your pc is averaging 50-60mph. While moving up to the Intel will be a decent sized leap in performance, it's still only averaging 80-100mph, you'll still come in dead last, miles behind the leader. The distance just won't be as far as it is now.

Only you can really say if it's worth it, really, since any really low fps are still going to be low, just not as low. You might move from 20fps in a game to 35fps, a really sizable jump, but that's still almost as unplayable as before. Whether that's good enough is for you to decide.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are in a car race. The cars are going around the track at 150-180mph. Your pc is averaging 50-60mph. While moving up to the Intel will be a decent sized leap in performance, it's still only averaging 80-100mph, you'll still come in dead last, miles behind the leader. The distance just won't be as far as it is now.

Only you can really say if it's worth it, really, since any really low fps are still going to be low, just not as low. You might move from 20fps in a game to 35fps, a really sizable jump, but that's still almost as unplayable as before. Whether that's good enough is for you to decide.

Solution

Johnicc

Reputable
Jul 17, 2020

And could you please recommend me a better pc build?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Recommendation for a build is easy, what's impossible is anything decent and worth purchasing that's going to last the next 5-6 years or so on anything resembling a $260 budget. You'd be looking at @ $300ish just for the motherboard, cpu and ram, another $200-$300 for gpu, $100 for psu, so any extras like case or storage you might have are usable, workable.

That's what makes those prebuilts and older equipment at lower cost so attractive.

Last edited: