[SOLVED] upgradingg

Sep 16, 2020
I am highly considering upgrading to an RTX 3070. Just wondering if I should upgrade anything else with it, like my PSU, motherboard, etc.. If there is another part that I could upgrade aswell with the graphics card, please let me know. And if you want to be even kinder, you can recommend me a certain part. I guess my budget for the other part(s) is $120 if it is a power supply, and $200 or $300 if any other part, idk. I just have to put a random budget out there before people recommended the best motherboard and power supply money can buy...

Anyways, here's my build.

Solution
At 1080p, your i7-7700 (non-K) will be your greatest bottleneck (A RTX3070 isn't going to struggle much with that resolution) but replacing the CPU and mobo exceeds your budget.

Does the i7-7700 need to go? That's all dependent on your financial situation (coming from me who's still rocking an overclocked i7-3770 even though I can afford a replacement)

I'd say the PSU is fine. It's sufficient wattage, and decent quality. Also 2020 is a year to avoid buying a PSU if you can.
At 1080p, your i7-7700 (non-K) will be your greatest bottleneck (A RTX3070 isn't going to struggle much with that resolution) but replacing the CPU and mobo exceeds your budget.

Does the i7-7700 need to go? That's all dependent on your financial situation (coming from me who's still rocking an overclocked i7-3770 even though I can afford a replacement)

I'd say the PSU is fine. It's sufficient wattage, and decent quality. Also 2020 is a year to avoid buying a PSU if you can.

Solution
Not sure if you've seen JayZ review this morning. According to him, Intel's 8000 CPUs and below are bottlenecked and that there's a noticeable performance gap between 8000, 9000 and 10000 series.
Pssh! JayZ provided ZERO data to back up that claim. He didn't even retest his 2080Ti with the 8700K. That sentence from him alone discredited his whole video. Not to mention, he just says +20fps at 1080p....in what game? What was the % increase?

Garbage.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Pssh! JayZ provided ZERO data to back up that claim. He didn't even retest his 2080Ti with the 8700K. That sentence from him alone discredited his whole video. Garbage.
Uhhhmmm.. :

https://www.3dmark.com/vrpor/256571

Compare that with his charts/graphs from this morning. There's no point rebenching everything when you have the data already available -- driver updates alone will not give the game 20 to 30 more fps.

I'm not going to test the MPG of my old car to compare it with my brand new 2021 car just to see the real difference. The old one's been tested and proven, just focus on the new one.

• GPU-check - got a 3070 before everyone else AND broke NDA....toss out. Even still, I guess you could compare, EXCEPT they're not using the same in-game quality settings on many games at JayZ. I also have to think GPU-check is extrapolating out at least some of their select-able qualtiy setting results. Otherwise that's an ENORMOUS amount of testing. Also, they're not providing enough detail to be able to reproduce any of their testing results. I take this as a cursory view of performance at best. Not scientific/comparable.
  • PC-builds - "bottleneck calculator" automatic toss out.
  • 3dmark - VRMark link vs TimeSpy & Port Royal in Jayz. Not apples to apples. toss out.

Last edited: