Uploading a Clients website

jballew7

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
I wasn't entirely sure where to post this or if its even relevant for this site but thought I'd give it a shot.

So I'm a full time student and full time employee. I don't have much spare cash because where I live the rent is ridiculous. So, I'm aspiring to make some extra cash on the side by doing some web design. I know HTML5 pretty well and I'm learning Dreamweaver. This isn't supposed to be a business, just a few sites here and there. I've never done site for someone so here's the question.
How do I host a clients site? Yes I know how to use a webhost but when I upload my own site to say, Go Daddy.com, I put in my info, my credit card, address, etc... How does this work for a client? Would I ask them for their info and make the account for them, or just give them the html files for them to host themselves?
Like I said this new to me so be gentle :) Any help is appreciated.

Solution
My recommendation is to have your client set up the site hosting account and, most importantly, be paying for it directly.

Then you provide the initial html to get the site up. Agree on that price beforehand.

Then you work out the level of support you will provide and what that price will be. Make it clear that the client is to always pay for the hosting services. Especially if there are data limits, change fees, etc., anything that may cause extra charges beyond your html work.

All in writing and up front. Be detailed.

The reason that the client should pay for the site hosting is simply cash flow from your viewpoint. If the client is late paying you then you will need to come up with the money to pay for continued site...

Ralston18

Titan
My recommendation is to have your client set up the site hosting account and, most importantly, be paying for it directly.

Then you provide the initial html to get the site up. Agree on that price beforehand.

Then you work out the level of support you will provide and what that price will be. Make it clear that the client is to always pay for the hosting services. Especially if there are data limits, change fees, etc., anything that may cause extra charges beyond your html work.

All in writing and up front. Be detailed.

The reason that the client should pay for the site hosting is simply cash flow from your viewpoint. If the client is late paying you then you will need to come up with the money to pay for continued site hosting. If you cannot do that and the site is shut down then the client is likely to be unhappy. Things will sour quickly.

If he stops making the payments himself, the site goes down and at least you know the client is not making payments.

Good warning, in advance, that the client may not be able to pay you next time around....

And you do not want to have his credit card information nor do you want him to have yours. Prevents any finger-pointing should there be any credit card related problems with regards to unexpected charges.

Solution

Latest posts