Question Uploading From Browser Takes Space From SSD Not Hard Drive

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hey all!

So I have a SSD (c drive) and a HDD (d drive), my windows is installed on my SSD which has some applications like Chrome installed on it. On my HDD i have my pictures, videos, video editing files, games and almost everything else.

Normally on Chrome when I go to Youtube to upload a video, say I'm uploading a 2gig video file to Youtube my ssd will go from 88gigs to 86gigs. I didn't think anything of it, it's probably storing the file somewhere temporarily as the next day or something it will revert back to 88gigs. This also made sense as Chrome is installed on my SSD, won't let you install to HDD for some reason.

Anyways it started to annoy me a little because it is a small SSD and I don't want to wear it out or potentially clog it up uploading big video files constantly as I regularly upload to Youtube.

So I did some research and logically thought to myself "what if I look for and install a web browser I can install on my HDD, because then it would take space from my HDD, right? Surely ". So I went ahead and installed Opera specifically on my D drive, went to upload a video, lo and behold it took space from my SSD again...

Can anyone help me? Why is this happening? What am i doing wrong here.

Thanks <3

Not to mention there's also lots of other apps that will generate temporary data on the system drive. Plus there's page file usage (the page file will get used even if you have plenty of RAM to spare).

Ask anyone who's had an SSD for less than 5 years in what's a typical consumer setting if it died do to running out of P/E cycles.

Reactions: Vellaura

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
What size is this drive?

But yes, this is almost certainly just temp files.
They go away after a while.

I'll post images of both my drives. I installed crystaldiskinfo but other then the "good" status I have no idea what the values mean, perhaps someone could help me to understand if it looks good or not.

Honestly I think it's just more of a OCD thing, seeing the number go down, especially on a small drive is a little triggering aha. I'll let it go. Also little worred it might konk out on me while im constantly uploading.

Thank you :sweatsmile:

View: https://imgur.com/a/QGvxkUZ
(both ssd and hdd )

You can see what a lot of those values mean in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes

A lot of values can't really be interpreted on their own because some of them are vendor specific values. But really, if your hardware survived 30 days, it has a very good chance of surviving for years. Even if you saw something wrong with those values, it would indicate a hardware failure and there's nothing you can do to fix it.

If you're worried about losing your data, then get a back up plan in place: 3 copies, 2 different physical devices, 1 copy not in your house.