[SOLVED] Uploading strangles my entire internet connection ?

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
Whenever I send a large file (60MB-ish) by email, the sending process makes it impossible to browse the internet or do anything, the whole connection is terribly slow.

Is there some way to make the sending of the email not use ALL of the upload bandwidth, so that I can still browse the internet while the email is being sent?

Solution
That is going to be extremely hard to fix when you have such a small upload rate. That is barely enough for many online games.

Now maybe you can fix this with QoS. Many routers can do a OK job with upload traffic. The major problem is with such a small upload rate the method used to calculate the average rate you want to limit it to will have too much variation.

The next problem is how do you identify this so called "mail". If it is actual mail you can look for the SMTP ports but it is not common to do it that way anymore. Almost everything people call mail is some kind of web page so it really will look no different than any other web page. You would have to get the ip address of the server maybe.

So first check if...

Lutfij

Titan
Often times, gaming motherboard's tend to come with an app that helps managing which app on your platform gets higher priority. The issue you've mentioned seems to indicate that your ISP might be limited in it's capability for both download and upload traffic, whereby you're on a limited bandwidth package/plan. Might it be possible to mention the specs to your build and the max bandwidth for your ISP plan(both upload and download)?

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
Often times, gaming motherboard's tend to come with an app that helps managing which app on your platform gets higher priority. The issue you've mentioned seems to indicate that your ISP might be limited in it's capability for both download and upload traffic, whereby you're on a limited bandwidth package/plan. Might it be possible to mention the specs to your build and the max bandwidth for your ISP plan(both upload and download)?

The computer on which the mail is being sent is my father's laptop, so I don't know the specs, but it's definitely not a gaming computer, so it wouldn't have a gaming motherboard.

As for my connection, yeah, the problem is in part there definitely, because I have an asymmetric connection with 10/0.45 Mbps, but there are other programs I've used which use upload and by limiting the upload to 0.30 Mbps, I was able to have no problems while uploading full blast.

So, in spite of the low up bandwidth, the problem here is that the email client uses ALL of it, instead of just, say 80% to leave some for other purposes.

So, I'd need some way of telling it to not use all of the up bandwidth.

That is going to be extremely hard to fix when you have such a small upload rate. That is barely enough for many online games.

Now maybe you can fix this with QoS. Many routers can do a OK job with upload traffic. The major problem is with such a small upload rate the method used to calculate the average rate you want to limit it to will have too much variation.

The next problem is how do you identify this so called "mail". If it is actual mail you can look for the SMTP ports but it is not common to do it that way anymore. Almost everything people call mail is some kind of web page so it really will look no different than any other web page. You would have to get the ip address of the server maybe.

So first check if your router has QoS. Next see if it has the ability to limit to certain rates. You also have to find a way to match the traffic. Many very cheap routers do crap like high/medium/low. I guess you could try those but they tend to work poorly. You could put the ip address of the machine doing mail in low and set everything else to high.

No real solution for this other than to get a larger internet connection. Still many people have similar issues because of the need to run things like zoom video conference which also uses large amounts of upload bandwidth.

Solution
Sounds like you have "Windstream" internet. Same as me.
Depending on the modem/ router you have Bill001g's advice is about as good as it gets.
If you have an older modem it will not have QoS etc..... for options.
In that case you will need a router that does.
Let us know the model/revision of your modem/router and we can work from there.