Question Uploads to Google don't work on wired connection

Feb 22, 2020
When I run a speedtest on my desktop PC from the Google search page, my download speed is consistently 250-265Mbps and my upload is either 0 or 0.01Mbps. If I run a speedtest from any other site my download is the same and my upload speed is 100-110Mbps, as it is supposed to be. If it were only an issue when running a speed test I wouldn't care, but this same issue with uploads happens when using any Google services including YouTube, Gmail, re-captcha, and Google Drive. As far as I can tell, this does not happen with any other websites, at least it isn't something that I experience with any of the other websites that I regularly use. I have gone through many FAQ's and user-made videos and forum posts trying various things to fix this issue and the first breakthrough happened recently for me.

Recently I discovered that this is only an issue when my PC is connected to my network via a wired connection though. When connected through WiFi, I can upload to these Google services, but my upload and download speeds are slower across the board hovering around 70Mbps both download and upload. I'm just hoping that there is a way to get the uploads to work through the wired connection as WiFi can be a little dodgy sometimes due to the plaster walls in my home.

Things I have tried with my wired connection. When I ping Google or YouTube I get no loss at an average of 21ms. I have tried plugging the ethernet cable into each of the ports on my router as to make sure it wasn't an issue with the specific port I was already plugged into. I have enabled/disabled the Large Send Offload V2 for both IPv4 and IPv6 on my ethernet connection. Ensured that my device drivers and BIOS are up to date. Hard reset my router and my modem. Tested three different cat6 ethernet cables, one long (35ft) and two shorter (6ft) cables to make sure it wasn't a broken cable.

PC/Router specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64bit (10.0 Build 18362)
MoBo - Gigabyte Z170X-UD3
CPU - i5 6600K @ 3.50Ghz
RAM - 16Gb
GPU - GeForce GTX 1060 3Gb.
Wifi - Qualcomm Atheros AR938x Wireless Adapter
Router - ZyXEL VMG4381-B10A
Ethernet Cable - 35ft long CAT6

Feb 19, 2020
I would check DNS settings, and see if you're getting some form of ISP blocking, or an improper router configuration, an improper ppoe setting, or even a QoS setting could contribute. Also try a different port on the router for the cable, just to confirm. I'd also check for any malware, or signs of any DNS poisoning. Monitor the network and run some Traceroutes to find the drop. You could try a network reset in windows as well.
What I really want to ask, though, is have you tried to:
  1. Navigate to the desktop.
  2. Hold down the Windows key and press R. (This will open the Run dialogue.)
  3. Type cmd and press Enter. (This will open a command prompt.)
  4. Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
  5. Type ipconfig /registerdns and press Enter
  6. Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
  7. Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
  8. Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
  9. Reboot the computer.
  10. ?

Feb 22, 2020
I would check DNS settings, and see if you're getting some form of ISP blocking, or an improper router configuration, an improper ppoe setting, or even a QoS setting could contribute. Also try a different port on the router for the cable, just to confirm. I'd also check for any malware, or signs of any DNS poisoning. Monitor the network and run some Traceroutes to find the drop. You could try a network reset in windows as well.
What I really want to ask, though, is have you tried to:
  1. Navigate to the desktop.
  2. Hold down the Windows key and press R. (This will open the Run dialogue.)
  3. Type cmd and press Enter. (This will open a command prompt.)
  4. Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
  5. Type ipconfig /registerdns and press Enter
  6. Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
  7. Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
  8. Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
  9. Reboot the computer.
  10. ?

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to read all that and respond.

I have tried the different ports on the router for the cable, each with the same result. I just followed the steps you listed above and nothing seems to have changed. I have checked for malware with MalwareBytes, with nothing that comes up. I did open my router and looked at the DNS settings and QoS, but in full disclosure I'm not really sure what I'm looking at so I don't know if anything is odd. On the DNS Entry page, there are none. On the QoS page it says QoS is enabled, but there are no limits set up or policers. I don't know if any of that is useful to know, hopefully it is.

When doing the traceroutes, to Google.com and YouTube.com, they timeout on the 10th hop. I'm not really sure how to read a traceroute, so idk what I'm looking at exactly, but it shows "Request timed out." on hops 10 through 19 and then on hop 20 I get a number and the trace completes.

Thanks again for taking time to look at this and give a helping hand. Networking related things have never been my strong suit, so I feel like I'm flying blind and your help is much appreciated.

Feb 19, 2020
It is my pleasure, and networking is my Forte' :) Happy to help!

The 10th hop is out there a tad, but sounds like it is probably your ISP doing some sort of traffic shaping or blocking. Try using a different DNS and see if it works. You can leave the routers QoS to default, this is not likely causing the issue if you haven't messed around with it at all. (we may come back to this later, if we reset the router)

Let's try checking your DNS for blocking:

In order to switch to a different DNS you could do it through your router, but in the interest of keeping it easy for now we will do it in windows. instructions are here:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-pcs-dns-settings-windows-10#change_dns_cmd_windows10
If you have any ?'s with this or need an assist don't hesitate to ask!

After you try those DNS (1.1.1.1;8.8.8.8;4.4.4.4) in any order, just to see if your traffic goes back to normal, report back your results and we will go from there.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020
I followed the instructions on switching the DNS from the site that you linked and tried each of the addresses you listed as well as each of the additional ones that were listed with the step by step instructions on that site. There was no noticeable change in how my network traffic is working, Google speedtest shows 0Mbps upload, other speedtests show between 100-110Mbps upload on the same DNS, and YouTube and Google drive will not let me upload still. The 4.4.4.4 address did not work though, it said "The configured DNS server is incorrect or does not exist.", otherwise all of the others changed the DNS but did not show a change in traffic.