[SOLVED] Uprading GTX 770 2gb with a RX 6500 Xt worth it?

LordPM

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
Hi everyone!
Im about to upgrade the whole rig with an intel 12400f cpu, fitting motherboard and rams. Trying to find a cheap replacement for my old 770 2gb as i dont have 1-2K to put on a good GPU. Is this worth it for gaming? Right now playing The Lost Ark which is not very taxing even for the gtx 770. Still dont want to waste money on it if the differences are not that big. Or do you guys have any better alternatives for a 2-400$ price?

Thanks alot!

Last edited:
Solution
The 6500xt is @ 20% better for low-average titles, so fps possibilities will go up, graphics details might go up a notch, lighting will be better etc. But it's still only decent for a Gen4 pcie board. For any Gen3 pcie or Gen2 pcie it's going to be somewhat worse as it's limited in bandwidth to x4. Meaning that you get Gen2 or Gen3 x4 pcie instead of the full x16.

Basically the 6500xt is a complete waste of money, it's only status being as available pretty cheap comparatively. You'd be far better off with an old Rx580 or even a 1660Super for roughly the same price and better results.

kcjawesomeness

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Hi everyone!
Title says it all. Trying to find a cheap replacement for my old 770 2gb. Is this worth it for gaming? Right now playing The Lost Ark which is not very demandent even for the gtx 770. Still dont want to waste money on it if the differences are not that big.

Thanks alot!
Im pretty sure you would need to install amd drivers so if you have the time for that. Im not sure but I think PCIe slot that are different will slow down your PC.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 6500xt is @ 20% better for low-average titles, so fps possibilities will go up, graphics details might go up a notch, lighting will be better etc. But it's still only decent for a Gen4 pcie board. For any Gen3 pcie or Gen2 pcie it's going to be somewhat worse as it's limited in bandwidth to x4. Meaning that you get Gen2 or Gen3 x4 pcie instead of the full x16.

Basically the 6500xt is a complete waste of money, it's only status being as available pretty cheap comparatively. You'd be far better off with an old Rx580 or even a 1660Super for roughly the same price and better results.

Solution

LordPM

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014

Oh i was thinking about upgrading the whole rig that's why i was asking. I was looking at a 12400f cpu with a fitting motherboard and rams. In this case, would the 6500 xt be a g ood upgrade? Im all for buying a 1660 Super but where i live i can't find any in stores and the ones people sell are like 600-800$ bucks. Where do you see those for roughly the same money? When im checking benchmark sites like gpu.userbenchmark , they seem to say the rx 6500 xt is like 140% better than my gtx 770. Im not looking at the right thing?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Watch the bids from Hardware Unboxed, Gamersnexus etc. I'd love to say OK, go buy a new card, but honestly I can't. It's a 6500XT, and it's pretty much worse off than an Rx570, any of the gtx16xx's. It's real competition would honestly be closer to a GT1030 ddr4 version.

It's not an upgrade worth spending money on for a new card. If you could get a used one for $50, then ok, but otherwise.....

kcjawesomeness

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Watch the bids from Hardware Unboxed, Gamersnexus etc. I'd love to say OK, go buy a new card, but honestly I can't. It's a 6500XT, and it's pretty much worse off than an Rx570, any of the gtx16xx's. It's real competition would honestly be closer to a GT1030 ddr4 version.

It's not an upgrade worth spending money on for a new card. If you could get a used one for $50, then ok, but otherwise.....
Also a problem with buying cards online is that its like the wild west, can't find anything to save your life.