[SOLVED] UPS did not protect me from suddenly power cut?

Zaraki Zenken Besin

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
I was playing a game and suddenly my pc , electric fan and lights suddenly got cut off like a split second and turn on again.

I have a UPS so this should protect me from sudden loss of electricity right? but when that split second electricity happen, my PC restarted?

I thought my UPS is defective so i tried removing the power plug but my PC is still on, what is happening? why my UPS did not protect me from that sudden lose of electricity but when I unplug the power plug and it works? BTW, my UPS is still brandnew as i bought it last 2weeks.

Zaraki Zenken Besin

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
The following link may be of interest:

https://www.vertiv.com/en-emea/abou.../what-are-the-different-types-of-ups-systems/

Find out more about your UPS (make and model). What "type" is it?
i finally get it now, it seems if im playing a game or under heavy load, the UPS cant keep up. I bought 1500VA and my psu is 600w i wonder why my UPS cant keep up.
If i just browse sites and not playing a game, the UPS works
how do u calculate the needed VA for ups? my psu is 600w

Ralston18

Titan
Fair question.

I do not select a PSU based on power/wattage - at least not directly.

I select a PSU based on much time do I want/require/need to gracefully shut down my system without losing data if power is lost. Hopefully enough time to complete any activity taking less than 5- 10 minutes. Crucial things such as a backups or some update that may have started on its own.

Not to keep playing some game. Besides your internet service could be down because the modem, the router, or even the ISP has lost power. Or communication lines are physically out of service. Worst case being big trees falling and taking wires with them....

(I do not do backups or updates etc. when weather conditions are bad or other events such as digging on my street or even elsewhere in the neighborhood are taking place. Anything that could result in power loss. Our utilities are all underground and marked before digging starts. However, someone always manages to cut a wire.... :) )

If power is lost at a "bad time" that is what backups are for. You do have backups - correct? And can restore your system if necessary to some previous state.....

Calculator/Selector example:

https://www.apc.com/shop/gy/en/tools/ups_selector/

Not promoting or endorsing APC. You can easily find similar tools on other websites.

A UPS is for emergencies. Playing a game is not an emergency.