[SOLVED] UPS for a 1600w PSU + monitor?

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
For the last year or so I've had a CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA/900W UPS. It's always worked fine for me.

But with my new PC, I unplugged the UPS from the wall (to simulate a power failure) and the whole thing shut off with an overload fault.

So I'm looking to replace it with something that can handle my new system and its 1600w PSU. I figure at load I'm pulling anywhere from 1000-1500w. But the only UPSes I can find that advertise this wattage are like, multiple thousands of dollars. Orders of magnitude greater than the $150 Cyberpower one that worked fine with my older 850w system. That's waaay out of my budget. Like I can probably afford $300-500 or so. Does anything exist in this price range that can keep my system up for a minute or two during short power failures? Would be great if it could keep a monitor up too, but this probably brings my UPS wattage requirements to 1800-2000.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Last edited:
Solution
First, do a battery test on your current UPS and if it passes keep it otherwise replace the battery.

Don't plug your monitor into the UPS and have its software set for shutdown in 90 -120 seconds and your current UPS will work fine and allow an orderly shutdown.

You don't want to spend what a UPS to keep the monitor and computer running for any substantial length of time will cost.

RealBeast

Titan
First, do a battery test on your current UPS and if it passes keep it otherwise replace the battery.

Don't plug your monitor into the UPS and have its software set for shutdown in 90 -120 seconds and your current UPS will work fine and allow an orderly shutdown.

You don't want to spend what a UPS to keep the monitor and computer running for any substantial length of time will cost.

Solution

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Thanks for the reply. The current battery passes. I just think the new PC is just too much load on it when it has to kick in suddenly. I'm running a threadripper with dual 3090's, alongside a 49" monitor so it's all quite a beast to power.

I need something that can provide ~1800w for a minute or two without breaking the bank.

Is your PSU running from a standard 115V outlet, or 230V?

It seems once getting above about the 900 watt size you have, the next big step is about 2700-3000 watts which run from 208V (popular with the crowd with access to 3 phase power) or 220-240 VAC, which, conveniently and coincidentally, are priced about $2700-$3000...

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
115V. I have ancient wiring in my house. I don't even have grounded outlets. It's just really surprising to me that there's not much in between 1000 and 3000 watts.