[SOLVED] UPS shuts down while gaming ?

Muaz19

Commendable
Feb 2, 2021
I live in Bangladesh and power outage/ load shedding is very common here. So, most PC user buys an UPS while building a PC. I, myself also bought one while I made my PC on October 2020. My PSU is 750W and the UPS supplies 1200VA. It works fine and gives a window of 25 minutes while I'm working on "Illustrator" or "Photoshop" and suddenly the power is out, but whenever I'm gaming it shutdowns almost immediately within 2-3 seconds. I want to know why is that happening. should I change my UPS?

PC specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x (Stock cooler)
ASUS TUF X570 motherboard
32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200mhz (16x2)
Samsung 970 EVO NV.me M.2 (500GB)
Seagate barracuda 1TB HDD
Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC
Gigabyte P750 GM full modular power supply
MaxGreen MF-LI-EAM 1200 VA UPS

Solution
Here is some text from APC:
What does VA mean?

VA is an abbreviation of the electrical term volt-amps, and indicates a capacity of power.� For example 240 volts x 12.5 amps = 3000VA.� It is used by UPS manufacturers more often than Watts because it makes the UPS sound bigger.
What is the difference between VA and Watts?
Put simply
  • VA is a measure of power supplied
  • Watt is a measure of power consumed
Not really very simple is it?
The main thing you have to remember is that the Watt rating will always be lower than the VA rating.� As manufacturers market their equipment based on the VA rating you should look closely at the Watt rating of your prospective purchase.� Below we have...

Lutfij

Titan
FYI an UPS is meant to give you power in order for you to save all critical content and then shutdown, not deliver power until you've drained it's battery. The issue you've stated is simple, when gaming you're demanding more power out of your PSU(and eventually from the UPS) and when you're on an app like Ps or Ai, you're demanding less from the platform. Again, an UPS is designed to deliver power for you to save and exit, as opposed to having a system just die out abruptly.

FYI, Gigabyte are bad PSU's to have and the UPS you have isn't reliable either.

Muaz19

Commendable
Feb 2, 2021
FYI an UPS is meant to give you power in order for you to save all critical content and then shutdown, not deliver power until you've drained it's battery. The issue you've stated is simple, when gaming you're demanding more power out of your PSU(and eventually from the UPS) and when you're on an app like Ps or Ai, you're demanding less from the platform. Again, an UPS is designed to deliver power for you to save and exit, as opposed to having a system just die out abruptly.

FYI, Gigabyte are bad PSU's to have and the UPS you have isn't reliable either.
Thank you for the information. I do not purposely play while on UPS, and I immediately try to save my files and shut down the PC as soon as power outage happens. just concerned that I did not had the swift amount of Time to exit from the game. before even pressing "Alt F4" it shut downs. and The UPS I have is from Local retail company and I also believe that it is not reliable. So, I would be glad if you suggest some Good UPS manufacturers. and as of the PSU, The time I bought there were PSU shortage. I was planning on buying a Corsair but there were only more bad PSU Manufacturer like Antec and all. so I did not had much choice there.

Here is some text from APC:
What does VA mean?

VA is an abbreviation of the electrical term volt-amps, and indicates a capacity of power.� For example 240 volts x 12.5 amps = 3000VA.� It is used by UPS manufacturers more often than Watts because it makes the UPS sound bigger.
What is the difference between VA and Watts?
Put simply
  • VA is a measure of power supplied
  • Watt is a measure of power consumed
Not really very simple is it?
The main thing you have to remember is that the Watt rating will always be lower than the VA rating.� As manufacturers market their equipment based on the VA rating you should look closely at the Watt rating of your prospective purchase.� Below we have listed four different APC UPS models, all rated at 1500VA but all with different Watt ratings
There is a technical explanation for the difference, it relates to 'Power Factor' but it is quite an indepth topic which we wont be covering here.� The important thing that you understand is that the power figure that you need to work off in determining which size UPS is right for you is the Watt figure.

Note the difference in Watts capability.
The links do not work for me, but you get the idea.
Is your power 110v or 240v?

As to brands, I have been using a APC 1500VA unit for some time with no issue.

On the psu, here is one tier ranking of various units:
Look for one with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Seasonic is generally good.

Reactions: Muaz19
Solution

InvalidError

Titan
whenever I'm gaming it shutdowns almost immediately within 2-3 seconds. I want to know why is that happening. should I change my UPS?
UPSes typically can handle 55-60% of their VA rating as watts, so your 1200VA UPS is likely only able to provide 650-720W and is shutting down from overload when you are gaming. You need to upgrade to 1500VA.

VAs are used by UPSes because there was a time where PFC was uncommon and UPSes had to deal with the apparent power caused by non-PFC PSUs having their main caps directly across the input bridge generating huge current spikes every time AC voltage exceeded capacitor voltage. If UPSes were rated strictly on watts without margin for inrush, distortion and other effects accommodated by the VA headroom, you wouldn't be able to operate non-trivial equipment without PFC on them.

Latest posts