[SOLVED] UPS shuts off when power fluctuates, but only while gaming ?

Aug 20, 2021
Hey there.
As title, bought a new UPS (Pure Sinewave, with Active PFC support for modern gaming PSU) rated 1000VA / 800W (loading factor 0,8).
The UPS is this one: https://www.vultech.it/it/gruppi-di-continuit%C3%A0/916--ups1000va-pure-line-interactive-lcd-gruppo-di-continuit%C3%A0-8052780300896.html

So far so good, when the PC is under normal load (idle, browsing, not under stress in general) the UPS is doing good, it prevents the PC from a shutdown.
But, whenever i'm doing stress-intensive tasks, the UPS fails to deliver power and the PC shutdown immediately.

You could say: Hey, maybe it's not sized enough for your PC.
But: i got a Rog Thor 850W and it got a Watt consumption display, and while gaming, it draws around 580W of energy, so i'd exclude the power exceeding.

My specs:

RTX 3080Ti Gigabyte Aorus Master
Ryzen R9 3900x
16GB DDR4
Crosshair Hero VIII
2x SSD
1x NVME
2x HDD
Various Fans

What could be the problem? I'm going crazy because this is the second UPS i change and the problem is exactly the same.

Thank you all!

Solution
The UPS might claim to handle a peak of 800W, but, clearly the unit in question cannot handle 580 W continuous average load...

I doubt many 'typical' consumer desktop UPS units are going to handle your rig...

THink in terms of 2-3KW rated unit (often costing $1500-$3,000) for a constant 400-600 W load to be 'routine'...

Ralston18

Titan
I could not get the link to open. No error message or anything....

Remember the purpose of a USP is to allow enough time to gracefully shutdown the system. Not continue to work, browse, or play games.

Or do stress tests.

Also be sure there are not any other devices (surge protectors, power strips, etc.) in the electrical connection path between outlet and PC.

And what else, if anything, is plugged into the UPS. I would expect that the monitor is also connected to the UPS.

And I am not sure about that "Watt consumption" display. Even though the display may indicate 580 watts that may not actually reflect a power spike that exceeds what the PSU can provide.

Look in the computer's Reliability History and Event Viewer logs for error codes, warnings, and information events of any sort that occurred just before or while "stress testing". Or other stress inducing activities such as games.

Aug 20, 2021
Thank you for your reply.
This is the link: https://www.vultech.it/it/gruppi-di...e-lcd-gruppo-di-continuità-8052780300896.html
And for Watt Display i mean that my PSU, Asus Rog Thor 850W, does have an in-built display that shows how many watt i'm consuming.

You saidd:
Remember the purpose of a USP is to allow enough time to gracefully shutdown the system. Not continue to work, browse, or play games.

But then, if a power failure (i.e: blackout) does happens within game session (when my PC draws more power) won't it save my PC? because that's what happened multiple times yesterday, while i was gaming (and then stressing my watt to high consumption) and a blackout occurred, the PC shatdown even if connected with the UPS.
If the PC is not under stress (i.e: idling or browsing) all fine, when a blackout occurs there is no problem. But while gaming it can't keep it on.

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
When under a heavy load while gaming, and the power cuts off, does your computer actually and literally immediately cut off too, or is there a couple of seconds at least before it does?

Also, what else do you have plugged into the UPS besides the computer itself?

Your power supply has a built in wattage display but what about the UPS itself? If it has one, what does the UPS report is the wattage when you are doing load-intensive tasks like gaming?

The UPS might claim to handle a peak of 800W, but, clearly the unit in question cannot handle 580 W continuous average load...

I doubt many 'typical' consumer desktop UPS units are going to handle your rig...

THink in terms of 2-3KW rated unit (often costing $1500-$3,000) for a constant 400-600 W load to be 'routine'...

Solution

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Hey there.
As title, bought a new UPS (Pure Sinewave, with Active PFC support for modern gaming PSU) rated 1000VA / 800W (loading factor 0,8).
The UPS is this one: https://www.vultech.it/it/gruppi-di-continuit%C3%A0/916--ups1000va-pure-line-interactive-lcd-gruppo-di-continuit%C3%A0-8052780300896.html

So far so good, when the PC is under normal load (idle, browsing, not under stress in general) the UPS is doing good, it prevents the PC from a shutdown.
But, whenever i'm doing stress-intensive tasks, the UPS fails to deliver power and the PC shutdown immediately.

You could say: Hey, maybe it's not sized enough for your PC.
But: i got a Rog Thor 850W and it got a Watt consumption display, and while gaming, it draws around 580W of energy, so i'd exclude the power exceeding.

My specs:

RTX 3080Ti Gigabyte Aorus Master
Ryzen R9 3900x
16GB DDR4
Crosshair Hero VIII
2x SSD
1x NVME
2x HDD
Various Fans

What could be the problem? I'm going crazy because this is the second UPS i change and the problem is exactly the same.

Thank you all!
You Need A Heavy And Expensive UPS To Power Up A 3080TI On LOAD. That GPU Is Powerful And Has A Lot Of Power Spikes So That Might Be The Reason