[SOLVED] UPS suddenly turns off and the whole PC with it then it starts to beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep like a long beep than turns back on

May 18, 2021
Hi, my UPS suddenly turns off and the whole PC with it then it starts to beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep like a long beep than turns back on
got the UPS two years ago
Extra: i unplugged my PC and the Monitor from the UPS and let it rest for 8 hours then plugged my PC and Monitor back in it worked fine but after 8 hours got the same problem back

Solution
Hi, my UPS suddenly turns off and the whole PC with it then it starts to beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep like a long beep than turns back on
Extra: i unplugged my PC and the Monitor from the UPS and let it rest for 8 hours then plugged my PC and Monitor back in it worked fine but after 8 hours got the same problem back
Two years is quick for a battery to fail, but not impossible.
A beep from a UPS typically means either the battery has failed or you have overloaded it.
Has your PC changed in the last two years? It is possible your PC is too much for the UPS.
Or if you have frequent power outages, your battery has failed. The UPS manufacturer should have instructions on changing the battery.

kanewolf

Titan
A beep from a UPS typically means either the battery has failed or you have overloaded it.
Has your PC changed in the last two years? It is possible your PC is too much for the UPS.
Or if you have frequent power outages, your battery has failed. The UPS manufacturer should have instructions on changing the battery.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Solution
May 18, 2021
didn't change any thing in my PC + my PSU is 650w and my GPU doesn't required a cable from the PSU + my UPS is 1500w 900v

kanewolf

Titan
didn't change any thing in my PC + my PSU is 650w and my GPU doesn't required a cable from the PSU + my UPS is 1500w 900v
That doesn't sound like an overload situation. Does your UPS have status lights? A LCD display? A USB port to connect to?
If your battery is faulty there will usually be a status light or status display.
If it has a USB port, it may have an app that can get status off it.

May 18, 2021
That doesn't sound like an overload situation. Does your UPS have status lights? A LCD display? A USB port to connect to?
If your battery is faulty there will usually be a status light or status display.
If it has a USB port, it may have an app that can get status off it.
it just turned off again and I saw that the UPS turns off completely no LEDs on the front then when it beeps its shows red& orange then it turns green when it turns back on
also, the same problem happens even without my PC plugged into the UPS
and the UPS workes fine when it's on batteries

kanewolf

Titan
it just turned off again and I saw that the UPS turns off completely no LEDs on the front then when it beeps its shows red& orange then it turns green when it turns back on
also, the same problem happens even without my PC plugged into the UPS
and the UPS workes fine when it's on batteries
What is the make and model of the UPS?
I don't think I will have any better recommendation other than to contact the manufacturer.

InvalidError

Titan
If you have a multi-meter, remove the battery and check its voltage. A 12V battery should be around 13.2V fully-charged. If you get less than 11V, your battery has one or more dead cells. If it uses a 24V pack, then a healthy pack should read over 26V fully charge and 24V or less would indicate at least one failed cell.

Last year, I came home or woke up only to find that my PC had lost power. When I investigated, I found out that its 24V pack was down to 17V (four total bad cells, battery is kaput) and the UPS was still reporting 24V with 60% charge. Either something has gone wrong with the battery monitoring or the firmware is garbage. Maybe both.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

bancroft

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 25, 2021
My computer also has the same problem, it will suddenly die and then automatically restarted with a beeeee sound, I'm considering whether it will not be a good cooling.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Replace the UPS. Either a battery canning out or electronics failure. Regardless it will be cheaper to replace the UPS than service it. This is assuming that the beep is coming from the UPS. Two years isn't very old but not at all unheard of, especially on a cheap unit. At this point I would unplug the UPS and run straight on utility until the UPS is replaced.

InvalidError

Titan
If you have a multi-meter, check battery voltages. A 12V pack should be over 13V fully charged, at least 26V for a 24V pack. If your UPS cannot get there, the battery has shorted cells. Cells can also become sulfated, in which case they may still have voltage but won't be able to pass enough current under load.

My Cyberpower UPS did the spontaneous shut-down on brownout to me a while ago and when I investigated it, I found out that its 24V battery couldn't charge past 17V (very much dead) with the UPS still pushing 2A into it (the battery was very warm) yet the UPS still reported 24V with 60% charge, no battery warning. Either something in the battery management failed or the firmware is messed up, maybe both. The UPS was only three years old at the time. I still have it, planning to eventually have a look for a possible repair (try to find out why the UPS was misreporting battery voltage) and see if there is anything worth salvaging otherwise.

Edit: weird, I couldn't see my first post the first time I got notified of a reply in this thread, re-posted and now my first post has re-appeared. That's why I have two nearly identical posts in here.

Last edited:

With a second PC, (ie: Laptop, or desktop hooked to wall power)
Connect USB cable to that second PC.
Install power chute or any of the approved utilities that come with the UPS.

Most have a test function inside them that will check the batteries. They also include things like messages with error codes.

kanewolf

Titan
With a second PC, (ie: Laptop, or desktop hooked to wall power)
Connect USB cable to that second PC.
Install power chute or any of the approved utilities that come with the UPS.

Most have a test function inside them that will check the batteries. They also include things like messages with error codes.
So far the OP hasn't confirmed that the UPS has a USB port.
If there is one, I agree with using the vendor's software to get status from it.

InvalidError

Titan
So far the OP hasn't confirmed that the UPS has a USB port.
If there is one, I agree with using the vendor's software to get status from it.
Even the 120VA UPS I have for my modem, router, telephony adapter and cordless phone has a USB port, I would imagine practically all UPS large enough to use with a PC would have one. All of mine going all the way back to my APC BX1000 some 20 years ago did.

Those provide SMB sensor data that you can read using HWInfo and other system monitoring tool which Windows also uses for power management purposes, no need to install the manufacturer's bloatware unless you really want to.

kanewolf

Titan
Even the 120VA UPS I have for my modem, router, telephony adapter and cordless phone has a USB port, I would imagine practically all UPS large enough to use with a PC would have one. All of mine going all the way back to my APC BX1000 some 20 years ago did.

Those provide SMB sensor data that you can read using HWInfo and other system monitoring tool which Windows also uses for power management purposes, no need to install the manufacturer's bloatware unless you really want to.
In the US that is true. In foreign countries, it is much less common.