UPS surge protection

jay_severin

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
had a minor power surge the other day which got me thinking about getting something better than the $5 surge strips I have all my electronics connected to. Don't want to spend alot of money, around $75 or so but would like peace of mind against surges and the like. Seems like I can get a 'good' surge protector or a cheap UPS, which would be better... here are a few links to items in my price budget:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=297364

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=282176

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=282952

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I agree, get an apc. You can get an apc 350 CS for around 60 dollars, or an apc 500 CS for about 99 at comp usa. I'd stay with apc simply because they're "the name brand" in ups.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I got my UPS last week and it's just great! Already switched to battery once because of too much electrical noise.

Anyway, when you buy one make sure you got enough watts coming out of it! <A HREF="http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BP500UC&language=EN&country_code=US" target="_new">Mine</A> is a 350Watts unit and using 173Watts of it. It gives over 20 some minutes of backup if I have monitor off, and 13-14 minutes with on.

You can buy a unit with less wattage, but that mean less time up if power goes out, less toys you can connect. Also the UPC monitor tell me that I shouldn't connect more to it (it does not mean that I can't, there are other warnings before you get the overload warning).

Another good thing to look for is brownout protection (auto voltage regulator (AVR)), it make it sure your system get the same juice all the time, so you don't get blinking monitor, or even a reboot if the power dip for a couple of seconds. Software with the UPS comes handy if you're not home when power goes out, mine shut the system down safe in case the power out too long and the UPS have only 5 minutes of juice left.

I don't know what else, I'm always going for stuff that can do more than needed (more power, more extras, more sockets to plug "toys" in). Cost more, but hoping they last longer and don't have to upgrade too often.

One more thing, never ever listen sales people about how good something would be for you. Get on-line and look it up. Sales dude might tell you that it got something that you need, but then you realize at home that it doesn't. Reading can save you pain on the arse and money. Almost got the regular 500 model and on-line I found out that the PRO USB version cost only 25$ (Canadian) more with loads of extras!!!

Good luck

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

jay_severin

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
just got a 350 va APC model BK350 for 70 bucks. I realized after that it doesnt have an automatic voltage regulator(AVR). how important is that feature? will the one i got protect me from brown outs as well as spikes? I guess I care ALOT more about line conditioning than battery back up, as long as my equip doesn't get fried or damaged I dont care if the power goes out. I thought that any UPS would conidition the line, is that right?

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BK350J&displaylist=OverviewIncludesOptionsComm,Asterisks#anchor1" target="_new">You got this one?</A> Far as I know if you don't have AVR then the unit will simply switch to battery operation in case of a brownout. APC page say " Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) corrects low voltage conditions without draining the battery."

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I purchased this one for my grandma's system, and got the 500 CS for mine. The only thing I'm a bit disappointed in is that the battery life is pathetic according to the software, only 5 minutes. It works good though, no problems setting it up, and as long as the auto-shutdown software works, i guess it doesn't matter how long the battery backup is on.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
What do u expect?

There is a titchy little lead acid battery which is supposed to provide alot of current to power your beast.

500VA UPS is good enough for me. And im running a thirsty XP1800+ rig. Its saved my bacon many a time... we get lots of blackouts and surges here... I dunno how i lived without it.

It covers the short blackouts, and i can put my PC into hibernate mode nice and calmly if they last for many minutes.

<b>The Intel Celleron 2.1 & 2.2Ghz processors provide consumers with a great way to get on the Internet. Which one of the 478 pins plug into the phone socket? - <i>Intel & The Inquirer</i></b>

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I purchased a 350CS and noticed it only had 5 minutes of power remaining, so I upgraded to a 500CS thinking obviously it would provide more battery backup. It didn't provide anymore backup time, according to the powerchute software at least, than the 350CS. That's the only thing I was disappointed in, other than that it works great and has saved my machine numerous times.

jay_severin

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
says i have 45 mins of estimated battery back up. that can't be right! xp1900 17" monitor and another computer all attached to the 3 battery back up outlets on my UPS.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
ignore the re:...

Long as it protects and you can save your work instead of cursing because power gone out and you lost everything... it's all good, 5 minutes or 20 minutes uptime doesn't make much of a diff to me. I only care about the protection and the safe shut down.

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
wow, I just re-did my system, got an asus a7n8x nforce2 board with an 1800+ thoroghbred. With my old board, an asus a7v-133 with 1.3 thunderbird, it said I had 5 minutes regardless of what I did to it... But with my new board, it says i have 43 minutes, that's more like it. I'm really curious to see exactly how long it'd stay on, but I don't want to hear the beeping for 43 minutes, haha. Im a 100% satisfied customer, btw, i have the APC 500CS

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
turn off the audible warnings in the settings

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I wouldnt rely on it... you can test it yourself. Turn it off at the wall and see how long your system lasts.

<b>The Intel Celleron 2.1 & 2.2Ghz processors provide consumers with a great way to get on the Internet. Which one of the 478 pins plug into the phone socket? - <i>Intel & The Inquirer</i></b>