UPS Systems, Surge Protectors, AVR--Best System Protection . . .

Questtt3

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Hey all, I have used APC Back-UPS for years and whether by luck or simply a great device . . . so far never had any issues and everything appears to work well. However, in preparation for a new, expensive computer build, concerned about serious surges (especially lightening), UPS's and AVR and needing a new, larger UPS, I find myself confused as to what to step up to and would greatly appreciate your advice.

Researching UPS's, Automatic Volt Regulation (AVR) and surge protection--it appears from what I have read that UPS' do not necessarily provide the best or even particularly great surge protection (like in the case of nearby lightening surges). Furthermore, it is difficult to compare different companies against each other because they each present and often define their statistics in different ways.

In comparing APC's Back-UPS Pro 1500 against CyberPower's PFC Sinewave Series
CP1500PFCLCD, for example, I found the APC Back-Ups Pro 1500 claims a "Surge Energy Rating (of) 354 Joules" and the Cybepower CP1500PFCLCD claims a "Surge Suppression (of) 1,030 Joules." On its face the CyberPower appears to offer considerably more surge protection . . . but then the APC seems to suggest when it says: "Full time multi-pole noise filtering :5% of IEEE surge let-through : zero clamping response time: instantaneous" . . . that its response to a surge is "instantaneous" whereas the Cyberpower says it has a "Transfer Time of 4ms" . . . is this measuring the same thing or have the same surge protection consequence/effect from a surge strike . . . because if it does, then Cyberpower's response would be slow because what I have read suggests responses should be measured in nanoseconds.

Cyberpower has a pure sine wave and APC has a stepped approximation wave; both claim to have Automatic Volt Regulation (AVR); etc.

Lastly, I usually hear that it is bad to hook a surge protector to a UPS because it creates "dirty energy", can cause surge spikes on its own and can even degrade the units' surge protection. I have recently read on HowStuffWorks and several other places that it is, however, a good idea to plug in series the UPS *into* the surge protector (SP), and the SP into the wall . . . true?

I would really appreciate advice as to what the best surge protector, UPS and AVR device(s) would be to protect my new computer system--whether it be APC, Cyberpower or some other. Thank you!

APC:
http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1500G&total_watts=800&tab=models

Cyberpower:
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/pfc-sinewave-series/CP1500PFCLCD.html?selectedTabId=specifications&imageI=#tab-box

Solution
UPSs generally aren't particularly great at surge protection, or at least no better than a standard surge protector.

They're largely for protecting against data loss.

lfkfkfkffs

Admirable
I don't know a lot about different ups systems but I have a friend who is one of those people who picks up junk like old amps, stereos, power supplies and tries to fix them. I remember him telling me something about always picking out a apc branded ups if I ever needed one because he said they are really reliable and they last a long time. I also have seen some people even have them for small business servers. So I am guessing they are really good but I never have seen any of those cyberpower ones around

Questtt3

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Thank you lfkfkfkffs and Someone Somewhere for your responses, I very much appreciate your help!

It's nice to hear that APC is respected . . . and to have confirmation that my concerns are legitimate regarding the adequacy of using a UPS for surge protection.

Given that UPS's are not particularly great at surge protection, but still wanting to have a UPS to give me time to properly shut-down my system in the event of a power outtage (as I have used many times with my old UPS--saving countless documents, files and system itself) . . . what is the best way to achieve outstanding surge protection (as in the case of lightening) and also have UPS and AVR protection--all from a plug-in unit (as opposed to having entire house wired for surge).

Thank you very much!