[SOLVED] UPS with SSD

swanserv

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Purchased a UPS because a brownout caused my SSD to lose it's partitions. After a long recovery, I ordered a APC UPS, and installed Powerchute, only to find that the highest voltage that would trigger the battery backup was 96V, causing a 20% drop from 120V to the computer. My SSD's power requirement is 5V. +/- 5%. If my UPS lets the power fall to 96V, and the power of the 5V rail of my computer's power supply falls linearly with the power to the supply, then the SSD's power will fall to 4V from 5V., which is a drop of 20%, far afoul of it's voltage requirement. So, if my assumptions about the power supply's dropping the voltage supply at all the power rails: 12V.,5V., and 3V., is correct, my SSD may still be damaged with a UPS due to a voltage drop.
However, I do not know how low the voltage dropped in my home in the brownout, I just noticed the lights being very dim, so maybe an SSD is more hardy than I think, and the power during the brownout was much lower than the 96V that the machine would drop to in the event of another one. Any knowledgeable replies would be much appreciated--I want to take this unit back if it doesn't save my SSD in case of another brownout. Thanks all!

Solution
Purchased a UPS because a brownout caused my SSD to lose it's partitions. After a long recovery, I ordered a APC UPS, and installed Powerchute, only to find that the highest voltage that would trigger the battery backup was 96V, causing a 20% drop from 120V to the computer. My SSD's power requirement is 5V. +/- 5%. If my UPS lets the power fall to 96V, and the power of the 5V rail of my computer's power supply falls linearly with the power to the supply, then the SSD's power will fall to 4V from 5V., which is a drop of 20%, far afoul of it's voltage requirement. So, if my assumptions about the power supply's dropping the voltage supply at all the power rails: 12V.,5V., and 3V., is correct, my SSD may still be damaged with a...

kanewolf

Titan
Purchased a UPS because a brownout caused my SSD to lose it's partitions. After a long recovery, I ordered a APC UPS, and installed Powerchute, only to find that the highest voltage that would trigger the battery backup was 96V, causing a 20% drop from 120V to the computer. My SSD's power requirement is 5V. +/- 5%. If my UPS lets the power fall to 96V, and the power of the 5V rail of my computer's power supply falls linearly with the power to the supply, then the SSD's power will fall to 4V from 5V., which is a drop of 20%, far afoul of it's voltage requirement. So, if my assumptions about the power supply's dropping the voltage supply at all the power rails: 12V.,5V., and 3V., is correct, my SSD may still be damaged with a UPS due to a voltage drop.
However, I do not know how low the voltage dropped in my home in the brownout, I just noticed the lights being very dim, so maybe an SSD is more hardy than I think, and the power during the brownout was much lower than the 96V that the machine would drop to in the event of another one. Any knowledgeable replies would be much appreciated--I want to take this unit back if it doesn't save my SSD in case of another brownout. Thanks all!
You need to check the INPUT voltage requirements for your PC power supply. Many are rated from 90VAC to 250VAC.

Solution