Nov 6, 2018
Good day, I would like to ask if a UPS is necessary for my problem. I currently use an AVR for my computer and there are times that there a clicking sound and my monitor shuts off but not the CPU. Both the CPU and Monitor is plugged in my AVR. I sometimes have a low voltage problem or any irregularities in electricity even though no major appliance is being used, and when I use the washer or AC I do not use the computer to avoid it. Is it harmful to the CPU parts and monitor if I keep using the AVR instead of investing in a UPS? I live in a town were our electricity isn't the best out there. Thank you.

Solution
A UPS is much more robust than a simple AVR. In fact, a line interative UPS INCLUDES an AVR.

If the power drops out too much, an AVR cannot boost to compensate; where as a UPS will have the batteries kick in to compensate.

jwcrellin

Reputable
Make sure you look at the ups specs like battery Amp hour size in relation to total system power draw. When power drops the ups sounds an alarm tone meaning you only have a limited time to save your work and properly shut your pc down.