Urgent DellD4600 Audio

Zeal514

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Hey, Im fixing a co-workers PC. I loaded a fresh install of Windows XP on there for her, and this damn Dell has been a nightmare with drivers.

I've installed the Chipset driver, So I could than install every other driver, otherwise they dont work, drivers to drive drivers..

Anyways, I got Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio driver on there, The only driver that would install from the website, Im confident this is the correct Driver. The full name is ADI 198x Integrated Audio, Its version 5.12.1.5246. Which as far as I can tell is the most up to date version from Dell. I've been on that website using the service code. Driver date is 1/27/2005. There is no SoundMax control panel for dell.

So When I first installed it, it worked fine, I ran a full windows update afterwards, and gave her the pc. She tried it, and the sound was very low and muffled. (Windows XP SP3, Pro). So I Uninstalled the driver, and Reinstalled the chipset, and Reinstalled the driver. The sound is much clearer, and louder, but still deff. not satisfactory. I've tried Update Driver through Device manager no dice, and running through DirectX, tests worked, same problem tho.

I cant figure out how to fix it. My hunch is that, the Audio mixer displays the the audio as if its a 5.1 Surround sound system, but it is literally just 2 speakers. I am currently on Teamviewer with her atm and trying to fix it. Any ideas?

Zeal514

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I have not, but I will give it a shot.

I uninstalled K-Lite Codec pack, and the sound reverted to how bad it was prior to me uninstalling all the drivers and reinstalling them.. She wanted to go to sleep, so I said I'll look into it some more and try again another day. Imma give that tool a shot.

On a side note, when I go to that page you directed me too, I get all of those drivers. But if I enter her service Tag, I dont even get a Audio section, just application, Diagnostics, Network, and Video (mabby 5, i dont remember off the top of my head, but nothing stuck out in regards to audio) lol. I have to select the "show all drivers for 4600 machines" option to bring back the 78 other possible drivers for the machine.

Her service code is CRXH451

Zeal514

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
yea, its frustrating. I think the Service tag must record the updates of the machine in the past, because theres only like 10 drivers, and no audio, no chipset, etc, which i find to be really retarded. God I hate Dell! I'll post back later if your solution worked, I'd love to hear more ideas tho, When I go for round 2, I wanna knock it out real fast.