[SOLVED] URGENT: Do I Need to Update BIOS Before Installing Windows 10?

mementomorality

Prominent
Jul 5, 2022
Hello,

I am in the process of building my first PC.

I have the MSI Pro Z690-A WiFi DDR4 mobo and an Intel 17-12700K CPU. On PCPP, it says "The MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard supports the Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor with BIOS version 7D25v11. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU".

In my BIOS, it says I have BIOS version E7D25IMS.100, BIOS build date 09/14/2021. On MSI's website, it says that BIOS version 7D25v11 -- the one I need -- was released 12/13/2021.

Sadly, I already inserted the USB flash drive that has Windows 10 on it into my new PC -- I forgot to ensure I have the correct BIOS version first. Normally, I know you are supposed to right-click and eject a flash drive and get the "all good to unplug flash drive from computer" message. I don't see that happening at the moment, but will I simply be able to unplug the flash drive that has Windows 10 on it safely? Thanks for any help.

Solution
Just look at the drive to see if the activity light is flashing on it to see if it’s reading or writing anything to it. If the system isn’t trying to actively use it you should be ok to unplug it.

mementomorality

Prominent
Jul 5, 2022
Just look at the drive to see if the activity light is flashing on it to see if it’s reading or writing anything to it. If the system isn’t trying to actively use it you should be ok to unplug it.
Hey, thanks so much for your response!
This USB doesn't look like it has any sort of light on it. It is a 16GB SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0.
Here is the imgur link of it plugged into my PC. Without that flashing light, what do you suggest I do? If I just remove it now, would it corrupt my BIOS or anything? This is a fresh, new build. I haven't done anything besides plug the USB in, turn the PC and monitor on, enter BIOS. I am fine with losing or corrupting the USB -- I can just redownload Windows to another one.

mementomorality

Prominent
Jul 5, 2022
I guess that if your motherboard is running an old bios that doesn't support the CPU then your system won't be doing much with your USB flash drive.
Hmm, do you recommend just leaving the Windows 10 USB inserted and going ahead with the Windows 10 installation first? And then after Windows 10 is installed, should I install the BIOS version I need? I'm just not sure if anything will go wrong if I install Windows 10 on a motherboard that has an outdated BIOS version in comparison to the CPU.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: mementomorality
That's it? All my life I've done the whole clicking "eject" before unplugging a USB from a working computer. I get that I can't do it now, from the BIOS screen, but it should be okay to simply turn the PC off and remove the USB without it harming my PC?
In windows that is necessary because there may be open files on the drive.
In BIOS there is no reading/writing being done on USB flash drive (other than, if you start BIOS flash process).

Reactions: mementomorality

mementomorality

Prominent
Jul 5, 2022
Reactions: Vic 40