Urgent Help !! Can't connect external HDD

AdnanSazin

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
Hey. Please Help !! My External HDD is not connecting to my PC. Recently I installed Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10300. I don't know if that's the problem but my External HDD is not connecting. It gives that beep sound when you connect a USB device to Windows but it doesn't appear. My ext. HDD is a 1 TB Hitachi NESO. Please help .. . . . . ..

Solution
Hey there, AdnanSazin.

Have you had any trouble with the drive before? Do you hear it spin-up or feel it vibrate when connected? Is there any data on it, which you want to recover?
I'd recommend that you check if it shows up in Disk Management and if it does - try assigning it a new letter. Here's how to do that:
How to change the drive letter assignment in Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP or 2000

If that doesn't help, I'd suggest that you try the external HDD with a different USB cable (not longer than 12") and a different computer, to see if the same thing happens.
If you don't need to recover any data, you could download the manufacturer's diagnostic tool and test the drive, to see if there's anything out of the ordinary.

Hope that...
Hey there, AdnanSazin.

Have you had any trouble with the drive before? Do you hear it spin-up or feel it vibrate when connected? Is there any data on it, which you want to recover?
I'd recommend that you check if it shows up in Disk Management and if it does - try assigning it a new letter. Here's how to do that:
How to change the drive letter assignment in Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP or 2000

If that doesn't help, I'd suggest that you try the external HDD with a different USB cable (not longer than 12") and a different computer, to see if the same thing happens.
If you don't need to recover any data, you could download the manufacturer's diagnostic tool and test the drive, to see if there's anything out of the ordinary.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

AdnanSazin

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
No, I haven't encountered such a problem before. But when I shake my HDD, it feels like something is moving inside. But I don't think that's the problem. And yes, it is almost full. I have a lot of important data inside it.

Well, try the suggestions I've mentioned in my previous post to see if you have any luck with your drive. Just skip the diagnostic tool for now. Before that I'd recommend that you try accessing the drive via Linux Live CD/USB to see if it's properly recognized and if you can get to your data, or try some of the data recovery options from this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1644496/lost-data-recovery.html

Please keep me posted on your progress.