Urgent help needed - Need a guide on backup recovery and setting up a new HDD

DypfrystBram

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2015
Hi. My current internal hard-drive is failing. It has been for a while so I backed it up and thought I would just use it until the end. It is shutting down every now and then, randomly.

I have already backed up all the files on my other internal HDD but I am wondering what I have to actually do to boot from my backup internal HDD.

Would the backup have the ability to boot my PC in the startup screen?

I don't have my Win7 install disc anymore.

Running Win7.
Old HDD is 1TB
One I want to use is 2TB
This is what is on my backup HDD

Tell me if you want any more info to help me.

A guide or a good youtube video explaining it is appreciated as well
2w6zd4z.png

Solution
I understand you've made a system backup image using Windows 7 "Backup & Restore" - - correct?

The WindowsImageBackup folder is where the backup image is located, but I guess you already know that.

What you should have also made after creating the image is a "System repair disc", the tool for doing that is also in the "Backup & Restore" utility, underneath "Create a system image".

When Windows gets screwed up or you've replaced the OS drive, you boot your PC from the system repair disc to access the backup image which then gets written to the target hard drive in order to get Windows up and running again.

http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-7/how-to-use-a-system-repair-disc-to-restore-windows-7/

xFeaRDom

Estimable
Not sure what you mean by back up, do you mean backup as just regular files, or a clone that includes the OS as well.

If you mean backup, may I recommend downloading Macrium Reflect, this will allow you to clone your current HDD onto the backup HDD, and everything will be the same.

On the other hand,

Choosing the HDD to boot from, you would have to go into BIOS, which I believe you can press f2, it's different for everyone but yeah. Boot into bios and find which drive the computer boots from, and change it to the newer HDD.

Follow this guide:

http://www.howtogeek.com/129815/beginner-geek-how-to-change-the-boot-order-in-your-computers-bios/

But instead of from a USB or CD, choose the other HDD.

DypfrystBram

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2015
I went to the basic backup process on Win7.
That pic is what I have to deal with. Next time my PC shuts down will I be able to boot from that hard drive using those files?
I have a feeling my PC won't make it through another full copy of the files.

Thanks for replying. I really appreciate it.

xFeaRDom

Estimable

When cloning the drive with Macrium, depending on how much you have on it, it will take around 30 minutes? If it lasts longer than that, then you're fine. But did you do a simple backup using Windows? As that will not copy the System files.

DypfrystBram

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2015
Right. Damn, I wish I knew that.
First time I have ever done it.

I just watched a little video and said that I can choose what to backup on the backup hard drive.
What folders contains everything to boot with Win7?

Edit: I went into the backup and restore settings for my current backup. It has "Include system Image - A system image is a copy of the drives required for Windows to run. You can use it to restore your computer if it stops working"

I just need to find out HOW to do that next time it shuts down. Is the backup supposed to be only for keeping the backups. Never able to apply the restore to itself?

It's confusing me, I am sorry!

I understand you've made a system backup image using Windows 7 "Backup & Restore" - - correct?

The WindowsImageBackup folder is where the backup image is located, but I guess you already know that.

What you should have also made after creating the image is a "System repair disc", the tool for doing that is also in the "Backup & Restore" utility, underneath "Create a system image".

When Windows gets screwed up or you've replaced the OS drive, you boot your PC from the system repair disc to access the backup image which then gets written to the target hard drive in order to get Windows up and running again.

http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-7/how-to-use-a-system-repair-disc-to-restore-windows-7/

Solution

DypfrystBram

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2015
Thanks, Phil!
I don't have a spare disc at the moment. I will have to go buy one I guess.

One more question, though, so I can comprehend the whole thing. The repair disc converts the image? Will the backup ISO disappear after it's done?

Thanks again. I know it's IT 101 but I have had no experience.

Edit: Oh.... Another one.... Can I use a USB?!

The backup ISO remains intact after you've restored your OS with it.

The image doesn't get "converted", Windows reads from it and writes the data & boot code to the target drive.

You said "can I use USB" - - use it for what? If you mean use it as a system repair disc, yes you can but not with the system repair disc tool - - that will only allow you to use a CD/DVD.

There's a guide here on making a system repair pen drive:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-windows-7-repair-usb-drive/

Rather ironically, that method requires you to create a system repair disc first so may be no good to you if you don't have an optical drive.

Thanks for the vid link.

Yes, it's all kosher but to see & access the 'Recovery' folder you'll need to disable "Hide protected operating system files" in Control Panel >> Folder Options >> View (tab).

Then just follow the video (something I find very hard to do with a brain injury, I need printed step-by-step instructions for anything like that).

Good Luck.