[SOLVED] ***URGENT*** Help needed with MBR Partition ID type

LunaEros

Reputable
May 25, 2015
I used Minitool Partition Wizard to migrate my system C: drive to a larger drive. Everything went fine but now that the larger drive is up and running I noticed it made my MBR partition visible and assigned a drive letter to it that belonged to another drive.
The MBR's partition id type is 0x07 which I assume must be wrong even though the system is running and I'm afraid to change it to another type such as E3C9E316-0B5C-4DB8-817D-F92DF00215AE (Microsoft Reserved Partition) or 024DEE41-33E7-11D3-9D69-0008C781F39F (MBR Partition Scheme) for fear of my system not booting up after I do it.
I'm running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Can anyone please help me?!! Minitool isn't answering their chat nor replying to my email yet.

Solution
:(
  1. For the clone process, you need to disconnect ALL irrelevant drives.
  2. At the end of the process, you NEED to power OFF, disconnect ALL drives except the new C, and see if it boots up.

All this messing around in the BIOS and DM can potentially screw things up.

LunaEros

Reputable
May 25, 2015
But will it still be visible like it is now? Shouldn't the MBR be showing as a reserved partition that can't be modified?
This is what it looks like in Partition Wizard and in MS Drive Management....

XHAAR0w.jpg

MeyrLeH.jpg

LunaEros

Reputable
May 25, 2015
Ok, but I still think it should be a different partition ID type and show up as reserved or something. I figure you are right in that removing the drive letter will make it disappear in explorer but I just want it to be the right ID type like installing Windows on a new drive would make it.

LunaEros

Reputable
May 25, 2015
I haven't tried. I had four Seagates. a 1TB ST1000 and three 4TB ST4000. I replaced the 1TB system drive with a 2TB IBM HUA drive. When I rebooted after I migrated I went into the bios and noticed the boot order listed and ST4000 but did not see any other drive. I remember it used to list the ST1000. I don't remember putting any MBR's on other drives and pointing to the C: drive but that almost is what it looks like it's doing.

LunaEros

Reputable
May 25, 2015
I did remove the drive letter from it and now it's disappeared in explorer so I assigned D: back to the drive it should be which is listed as G: in the Drive Management screenshot I posted.

USAFRet

Titan
:(
  1. For the clone process, you need to disconnect ALL irrelevant drives.
  2. At the end of the process, you NEED to power OFF, disconnect ALL drives except the new C, and see if it boots up.

All this messing around in the BIOS and DM can potentially screw things up.

Solution

LunaEros

Reputable
May 25, 2015
Well It's running now and looks right even though I still think the partition ID is wrong. The chat box for Minitool finally said to state my question and they'll get back to me so I guess I'll wait and see what they say.
I even contemplated using the "Rebuild MBR" function to see if that would correct it but not sure if it would.
I do appreciate the help though since at least it functions and looks the way it's supposed to now.

TRENDING THREADS