[Urgent Help Please!] Raid 0 between 2 SSDs not working (pics)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Remmib

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hey guys...appreciate any help I can get with this annoying problem.

So I just formatted my two Crucial M4 drives (one 64GB and one 128GB). I want to combine them in Raid 0 so that I can have a ~180GB SSD drive so that I have more room for games. Otherwise the 64GB drive is pretty useless to me.

I just installed Windows on my OCZ SSD 256GB (I like to have two copies of windows on different drives - one for work and one for gaming), then I went into the bios to switch from AHCI mode to RAID mode.

So here is what I did:

I selected my drives that I wanted to make into Raid 0:

TqxUs.jpg

And after that I thought it was weird that the Capacity only said 119.2GB:

R9gJF.jpg

So I changed it manually....59.6GB + 119.2GB = 178.8GB (which is what I entered below)

p1nnt.jpg

I pressed confirm to create the Raid and it gave me this error:
(Not enough capacity to create volume.)

adBUI.jpg

Here is the screen from my bios:

FBRu0.jpg

I have no idea what is going wrong here...please help me. :??:

Solution
Right-click where it says Disk 0 (bottom pane) select Convert to Dynamic Disk then create a new spanned volume from Disk 0 to Disk 1 (unallocated space). This should work.

Remmib

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Sorry I'm an idiot, heh... Thanks for putting up with me.

I've done what you told me, but still the problem persists where I am not allowed to go past the actual creation of the 'new spanned volume'

JxrS7.png

Remmib

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Thanks for being patient and spelling it all out for me man, you're awesome. I learned something!

Great success!

ktwr3.png

Have a good weekend man :).

Remmib

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Just tried to install Windows from the desktop of my OCZ 256GB 'Work' drive and get this error:

zv3pR.png

The error popped up before I even got to the part where it asked me where I want to install it.

So now my friend just told me that I can't do a spanned volume (which he said is a 'software raid') on drive on which I want to install windows....

Is this real life?

Back to square one. :(

Remmib

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

I think I am going to try another solution.

But I am stuck here, I cannot get my Disk 1 to change back to a 'basic' drive. It is stuck on 'dynamic':

9onKC.png

Any ideas on how to get it back to basic?

*edit* working on a solution with a friend, will post back here if I am unsuccessful/need more help.

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
How much space do you have available on H drive. If you have at least half of the drive empty, use the software that I suggested earlier in the thread to shrink the volume to half the total size of the HDD. It will automatically make unallocated space on the drive and you can install Windows to the unallocated space. Leave your drives as dynamic disks with a spanned volume and everything will be fine.