urgent need of a simple answer

ironicmemes

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
I recently purchased a PC and I just found out my power supply is basically a ticking time bomb. I have plans to change the power supply, it has to be 750 watt+, which is my current one, is there any compatibility information about power supplies that I'm,not aware of? Or can I just order a name brand 750 watt PSU and install it myself?

Solution
XFX TS 550 $36 after $25 rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&cm_re=xfx-_-17-207-013-_-Product

Overclocking won't help much since the AMD CPU already has TURBO CORE enabled. I usually end up turning off TURBO CORE during the summer.

I own 3 of them and is running all 3 of my desktops. I swap out the TS 550 for my XFX CORE 750 and my Antec HCG 620M on 2 of my desktops when I run my processors at full speed during winter since I am picky about my temperatures since I live in a hot and humid place.

ironicmemes

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
Not proud of myself but I honestly don't know much about building PCs, so I decided to go with cyberpowerpc, and I decided to do some reading real quick and discovered my 800 watt "standard 80 plus" that I purchased for the PC (not 750 oops) has a very high rate of failure.

ironicmemes

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
It is " 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready" directly copied from site lol I've read their standard PSUs are infamous for their unreliability

Without the make and model, there's no way I would know if it's a decent PSU or not. Unbranded ones are almost always terrible. So going off their wording, 800W is most likely sufficient for your build. I do recommend replacing it anyway.

The PSU that you picked out is definitely not a great power supply and it does have poor capacitors, but your build is unlikely going to put it on enough load for your to worry about it. While I do not recommend the power supply for purchase and I would recommend buying a better quality PSU, there's no urgency for you to replace it at this point in time. Your system will maybe use up 650W with a bit of overclocking. So there's plenty of headroom.

Pondering

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
XFX TS 550 $36 after $25 rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&cm_re=xfx-_-17-207-013-_-Product

Overclocking won't help much since the AMD CPU already has TURBO CORE enabled. I usually end up turning off TURBO CORE during the summer.

I own 3 of them and is running all 3 of my desktops. I swap out the TS 550 for my XFX CORE 750 and my Antec HCG 620M on 2 of my desktops when I run my processors at full speed during winter since I am picky about my temperatures since I live in a hot and humid place.

Solution