[SOLVED] (Urgent) Windows keeps creating Page File

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tf2hk49

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Hello folks,

I wanted to set the Page File on the other HHD, however windows seems Ignore my settings and keeps set Page File on C driver after reboots EVERY *** TIME (Sorry I was really mad)

C Driver was my system driver
And in fact I want to set Page file on other HHD because C was getting FULL and the *** IDIOTIC windows still keeps Page file on it squeezing my C driver which making my PC running EXTREMLY slow (8mb space left), WTF Microsoft

HELP!

Solution
I found something interesting,
G: used to be Page file drive before this thread starts

If I try to create Page file on B: (1TB) only, Windows will create Page file on C every boot.

But here comes to G: the magic thing happened, select G: only Windows will not create any Page file on C,
But that's meaningless....because setting Page file on B is the reason why I mess with Windows

I think I found the root cause.
The B drive letter.

A and B are holdovers from when we only had floppy drives. The C drive letter came into being as the default hard drive identifier. And it stuck.
A and B are treated very differently in Windows.

One of those differences seems to be ignoring your desire for the pagefile to be on that.
It...

tf2hk49

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

If I try to create Page file on B: (1TB) only, Windows will create Page file on C every boot.

But here comes to G: the magic thing happened, select G: only Windows will not create any Page file on C,
But that's meaningless....because setting Page file on B is the reason why I mess with Windows

USAFRet

Titan

The B drive letter.

A and B are holdovers from when we only had floppy drives. The C drive letter came into being as the default hard drive identifier. And it stuck.

One of those differences seems to be ignoring your desire for the pagefile to be on that.
It doesn't care that it is not a floppy drive, it only knows that it does not like the drive letter B.

Solution:
Choose any other drive letter, and it will no longer create that "14.9 GB" pagefile on your 75GB drive.

Reactions: DimkaTsv
Solution

tf2hk49

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
The B drive letter.

It doesn't care that it is not a floppy drive, it only knows that it does not like the drive letter B.

Solution:
Choose any other drive letter, and it will no longer create that "14.9 GB" pagefile on your 75GB drive.
Bingo !

You solved my problem! , after renamed B: to whatever it just works and no more auto Page File on C: .
Great work sir , much appreciate !

Reactions: DimkaTsv

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Your "problem" is twofold:
  1. A too small drive for the OS. 75GB
  2. Too much junk on that 75GB drive.
Easily fixed, in multiple ways.
I've been using a 50GB partition on my SSD as the C: drive for almost 10 years now. It has Win 7 Ultimate x64 and many apps and utilities on it. I often have several GBs temporarily on the Desktop. Pagefile is 8GB. Never filled up more than 60% of that 50GB.

Hibernation if off and My Documents is on another drive. Maybe these two are the cause of the OP's problem.

USAFRet

Titan
I've been using a 50GB partition on my SSD as the C: drive for almost 10 years now. It has Win 7 Ultimate x64 and many apps and utilities on it. I often have several GBs temporarily on the Desktop. Pagefile is 8GB. Never filled up more than 60% of that 50GB.

Hibernation if off and My Documents is on another drive. Maybe these two are the cause of the OP's problem.
For those who are careful with it, sure.
One of my systems is an Asus Transformer, with a 32GB C drive.

Most people aren't that diligent with space management.

DSzymborski

Titan
The B drive letter.

Solution:

Makes me feel old that I've had multiple PCs with A: and B: floppy drives.

It's amusing that I was able to condense essentially every floppy disk I ever had in 80s onto like one-fifth of one CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.