[SOLVED] Usable Ram Problem 2x8GB. 16GB Installed, 7.93GB Usable

Dec 14, 2019
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this issue and how to fix it.

My PC recognizes that there is indeed 16GB installed RAM, but only says that half of it, 7.93GB is usable.
My motherboard is ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard.
My RAM is G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory.

I've checked and my BIOS is updated to the latest version (3.60).
I've tried multiple methods to try and resolve this:
System Config Boot Menu making sure the maximum is uncapped, I even tried having it capped at the max of 16,384MB that didn't work either.
I tried Advanced System Settings and unchecking 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives' and checking 'No paging file', didn't work
My RAM sticks are in slots 2/4 (A2, B2) as specified by the manual, I tried switching to 1/3 that didn't work either. I tried one at a time, putting a stick in slot 2, booting, and it said 8 GB available/usable, shut down, put the 2nd stick in slot 4, rebooted, and was back to 16GB, 8GB usable.

If anything else is needed, here is the build.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/PPicker1t1/saved/#view=W87K4D

Solution
First, try changing the memory speed, manually, to 2933mhz in the BIOS. Save settings, exit, restart, see what it shows now. Ryzen almost never will run at 3000mhz, and it won't always default itself by profile values to 2933mhz. Set it manually and see if that works.

Beyond that, that memory is not officially compatible with that motherboard. The G.Skill memory configurator does not list ANY DDR4 3000mhz 2 x8GB kits as being compatible with the B450M Pro4. My advise, honestly, would be to get memory that G.Skill lists as being compatible. Motherboard QVL lists are not all inclusive, and don't mean much. But when the memory manufacturer doesn't list a specific kit, or any kits at a given speed, for a particular board, it's usually for...
First, try changing the memory speed, manually, to 2933mhz in the BIOS. Save settings, exit, restart, see what it shows now. Ryzen almost never will run at 3000mhz, and it won't always default itself by profile values to 2933mhz. Set it manually and see if that works.

Beyond that, that memory is not officially compatible with that motherboard. The G.Skill memory configurator does not list ANY DDR4 3000mhz 2 x8GB kits as being compatible with the B450M Pro4. My advise, honestly, would be to get memory that G.Skill lists as being compatible. Motherboard QVL lists are not all inclusive, and don't mean much. But when the memory manufacturer doesn't list a specific kit, or any kits at a given speed, for a particular board, it's usually for a good reason. If manually setting it to 2933mhz doesn't work, return the memory and get a kit that G.Skill says is compatible.

Before you go through the trouble of replacing it though, it might be well worth pulling the CPU and making CERTAIN there are no bent pins. I've seen five or ten cases where bent pins on Ryzen, and lots of cases on other systems, caused this exact problem.

Also, make damn sure you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version, which apparently you've already done.

So, that basically leaves check pins first, replace second, if setting to 2933mhz manually does not work.

Solution
Dec 14, 2019

Beyond that, that memory is not officially compatible with that motherboard. The G.Skill memory configurator does not list ANY DDR4 3000mhz 2 x8GB kits as being compatible with the B450M Pro4. My advise, honestly, would be to get memory that G.Skill lists as being compatible. Motherboard QVL lists are not all inclusive, and don't mean much. But when the memory manufacturer doesn't list a specific kit, or any kits at a given speed, for a particular board, it's usually for a good reason. If manually setting it to 2933mhz doesn't work, return the memory and get a kit that G.Skill says is compatible.

Before you go through the trouble of replacing it though, it might be well worth pulling the CPU and making CERTAIN there are no bent pins. I've seen five or ten cases where bent pins on Ryzen, and lots of cases on other systems, caused this exact problem.

Also, make damn sure you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version, which apparently you've already done.

So, that basically leaves check pins first, replace second, if setting to 2933mhz manually does not work.

If the speed is set to 2133mhz would that be an issue? I will try the 2933 setting. I don't know anything about pcs other than the little knowledge I picked up from building (1st build). I thought it was weird that the speed for the ram was listed as 3000mhz but it showed way less when in the as boot menu.

If you have not set the XMP profile (DOCP for ASUS boards) then it will only run at the default of 2133mhz. Even so, at 2133mhz it should definitely have less problem working that at even 2933mhz. I'd bet you simply have memory that is not compatible with your board.

If you can return it, I would do so. Then get a kit based on what the G.Skill configurator says is compatible. In this case, I'd probably go with something like this, which are not only faster but are fully listed as compatible with your motherboard on the G.Skill website.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb...&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-cPZHkSQPVgR.mapFaix9VA

If you run into questions regarding memory in the future, these three links can answer a lot of questions that get asked by most people. While some of the information is directed to DDR3, it can almost universally be applied to DDR4 as well.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-faq,4154.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html#p1

Dec 14, 2019
Would this one also be compatible? I'm not sure how to check compatibility. The one you linked is backordered and I'm just trying to go through newegg for the shipping so I found a same spec RAM from Corsair. I put the parts into PC part picker again and it didn't say any compatibility issues. But I just want to be sure before ordering. I also checked another site, but I'm not clear on if I am checking for compatibility between the RAM and motherboard or RAM and Ryzen 2600 or if it's a combination of the 3.

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Dec 14, 2019
Thank you yet again. I see now on their website the "AMD Optimized Tab", which I think is what you were referring to for seeing what Corsair RAM Kits are compatible with the AMD 2000 and 3000 series?? I've ordered that one now that you linked and I'm going to wait for it to come it so I can swap out and then return my G Skill RAM Kit. Really appreciate all the replies and info you have given to me!

Dec 14, 2019
....Is there something I am missing at this point? Low and behold I'm back here again, installed both new RAM sticks, boot up and I'm back at square one. I set the XMP to the profile so the RAM runs at 3200, it previously said 2666 and the voltage is in red at 1.350V as opposed to the 1.200V listed next to it. Is there anything else that can be causing this issue. I'm going to check the CPU for bent pins but at this point this is just so annoying, I feel like I've exhausted so many options to try to get this to work.

Did you do a hard reset of the BIOS AFTER installing the new memory, and THEN go back into the BIOS and set the XMP profile, and then save settings and exit?

If not, try that.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

And if that fails to work, try setting the XMP profile and then manually setting the memory to 2933mhz. It's not common anymore that you can't get 3200mhz with latest BIOS updates, but happens occasionally on lower end motherboards which that one IS.

What CPU are you using? Have you checked for bent pins, and if not, so so. Also, make absolutely sure the CPU cooler, if it is an aftermarket cooler, is evenly tightened all the way around, evenly, so that the CPU does not get "cocked", and that it is not TOO tight, both of which can make it act as though there were bent pins. As seen here, even using the wrong hardware from the mounting kit can cause memory issues.