Question usable ram

Jul 19, 2022
I installed 32 gigs of ram (4x8 sticks) but only 15.9 gb is being used. Please help me I have been trying to get this to work for days now.
My mother board is b450 tomahawk (Msi)
Ram is vengeance lpx ddr4 3200mhz
I just tried switching the ram around and dusted out the dimm slots but I still have 15.9 out of 32 gbs of ram usable.
I also made sure the ram is properly seated

Jul 19, 2022
I show nearly 8 usable of my 8 total at that location.

What do you show as "in use" and "available" on the performance tab of Task Manager?

Or in the BIOS?

Are these sticks all part of a single kit? Or were the sticks purchased separately?
but it also says that 16.1 is "hardware reserved" is that a cause?

Are these sticks all part of a single kit? Or were the sticks purchased separately?

I'd try to determine if which...if any....of these sticks might be defective.....by process of trial and error if need be. Or which RAM slots.

You need to find out if you have:

Bad RAM or bad slots or a configuration issue.

There may be some other innocent explanation. I'm not an authority.

Jul 19, 2022

I'd try to determine if which...if any....of these sticks might be defective.....by process of trial and error if need be. Or which RAM slots.

You need to find out if you have:

Bad RAM or bad slots or a configuration issue.

There may be some other innocent explanation. I'm not an authority.
3 of the 4 of my stick are brand new and the one that was previously in it was working. and yes they are all for sure the same

3 of the 4 of my stick are brand new and the one that was previously in it was working. and yes they are all for sure the same

They are not "all for sure the same" if they were not purchased in a single 4 piece kit.

You bought 3 new sticks you thought were identical. I don't think you can buy 3 sticks in a single kit, so I assume they were individual items....that can be a problem.

Jul 19, 2022
They are not "all for sure the same" if they were not purchased in a single 4 piece kit.

You bought 3 new sticks you thought were identical. I don't think you can buy 3 sticks in a single kit, so I assume they were individual items....that can be a

You bought 3 new sticks you thought were identical. I don't think you can buy 3 sticks in a single kit, so I assume they were individual items....that can be a problem.
i bought a double pack and a single one
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D6LKYR5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Looks like you have 3 variations:

The original stick.

The 2 new sticks that were part of a kit.

The 3rd new stick that was not part of the kit.

Anything can happen with that. You might get them all recognized if you manually tinker with your RAM settings. Or not.

Can you now tell which one of the 3 new sticks was NOT part of the kit?

Why specifically do you need 32?

What is it that 16 cannot do to your satisfaction?

Jul 19, 2022
Looks like you have 3 variations:

The original stick.

The 2 new sticks that were part of a kit.

The 3rd new stick that was not part of the kit.

Anything can happen with that. You might get them all recognized if you manually tinker with your RAM settings. Or not.

Can you now tell which one of the 3 new sticks was NOT part of the kit?

Why specifically do you need 32?

What is it that 16 cannot do to your satisfaction?
yeah i can tell, and i just got 32 because i felt like it lol

yeah i can tell, and i just got 32 because i felt like it lol

I'd try to find out which 2 of the 4 sticks are part of the 15.9 you have available.

The other 2 sticks aren't doing you any good. You may be able to get them recognized by fiddling with your RAM settings. Maybe not.

How much hassle are you willing to undergo?

Can you get your money back for any of the 3 new sticks?

Keep the 2 of the 4 that are recognized as 15.9 and throw the other 2 in the trash?

Jul 19, 2022
I'd try to find out which 2 of the 4 sticks are part of the 15.9 you have available.

The other 2 sticks aren't doing you any good. You may be able to get them recognized by fiddling with your RAM settings. Maybe not.

Keep the 2 of the 4 that are recognized as 15.9 and throw the other 2 in the trash?

Jul 19, 2022

well i just put in the two new ones and it now says 7.9 out of 16 is usable