Question USB 12v Step Up Connectors for Router Via USB

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
I have a Solar Portable Powerbank Rated at 5v 2.4a One Port, 5v 3a the other port and it has solar and USB charging. I have noticed there are some devices that supposedly "step-up" 5v to 9v or 12v 1a/2a/3a.
Are those USB devices safe to use? If so (or not) what would you recommend I do?
(Note this is for camping where mains power isn't really an option unless I buy a bulky power unit)

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Solar Portable Powerbank Rated at 5v 2.4a One Port, 5v 3a the other port and it has solar and USB charging. I have noticed there are some devices that supposedly "step-up" 5v to 9v or 12v 1a/2a/3a.
Are those USB devices safe to use? If so (or not) what would you recommend I do?
(Note this is for camping where mains power isn't really an option unless I buy a bulky power unit)
What are you trying to power?

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
A circuit that increases the supply voltage is known as a "DC-to-DC boost converter".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter

You would need to measure the maximum current drawn from a 12V DC supply by your router with an ammeter. The power supply that came with the router might be capable of supplying 1.5A, but it's likely that the router only draws 0.9A from the supply.

12V x 0.9A = 10.8W, so a DC-to-DC converter connected to a 5V 3A (15.0W) power bank should be OK.