USB 2.0 Upgrade for Presario 5002US

Clyde

Hi:

I just installed a 2.0 USB PCI card. My 1.1 devices work fine through
the card, but the Lacie 2.0 USB 250GB HD is not recognized by the
computer. If I plug the HD into a 1.1 port, the computer can see the
drive. The card was bought at compusa.com- it's an ALI. Installing
the drivers didn't seem to do anything.

Is there something else I need to do to enable USB 2.0 other than the
card driver? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

"Clyde" <clyderat@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I just installed a 2.0 USB PCI card. My 1.1 devices work fine through
> the card, but the Lacie 2.0 USB 250GB HD is not recognized by the
> computer. If I plug the HD into a 1.1 port, the computer can see the
> drive. The card was bought at compusa.com- it's an ALI. Installing
> the drivers didn't seem to do anything.
>
> Is there something else I need to do to enable USB 2.0 other than the
> card driver? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA!

Should work. Nothing magical. What OS?

Clyde

Sorry for omitting....XP.

I agree that it should be easy, but I'm pulling my hair out.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:29:34 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>"Clyde" <clyderat@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>> I just installed a 2.0 USB PCI card. My 1.1 devices work fine through
>> the card, but the Lacie 2.0 USB 250GB HD is not recognized by the
>> computer. If I plug the HD into a 1.1 port, the computer can see the
>> drive. The card was bought at compusa.com- it's an ALI. Installing
>> the drivers didn't seem to do anything.
>>
>> Is there something else I need to do to enable USB 2.0 other than the
>> card driver? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> TIA!
>>

>Should work. Nothing magical. What OS?

when I install my pci card on HP, I never was required to use the CD
Install. XP pickup it right up. Maybe try CD and load software then
Install card and see if it picks ups.

Clyde wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I just installed a 2.0 USB PCI card. My 1.1 devices work fine through
> the card, but the Lacie 2.0 USB 250GB HD is not recognized by the
> computer. If I plug the HD into a 1.1 port, the computer can see the
> drive. The card was bought at compusa.com- it's an ALI. Installing
> the drivers didn't seem to do anything.
>
> Is there something else I need to do to enable USB 2.0 other than the
> card driver? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA!

Does the card have enough power for the drive? Is there external power
available for the drive?