Nivek

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2001

I just installed an Adaptec USB2Connect card (5 port USB 2.0) in my Dell
Dimension 8100, Win2k SP4.

The installation instructions state that the new hardware wizard will ask
for drivers etc. but it never did. It just came up as New Hardware Found,
USB Controller and that was it. It seems to be working OK but do I need to
install the Adaptec drivers or am I OK with the Win2k drivers?

I believe if you want USB 2, not USB 1.1, you need Adaptec's drivers. 2000
did not have native USB2 support.

Tom
"Nivek" <REMOVE_wwwebmail_REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I just installed an Adaptec USB2Connect card (5 port USB 2.0) in my Dell
> Dimension 8100, Win2k SP4.
>
> The installation instructions state that the new hardware wizard will ask
> for drivers etc. but it never did. It just came up as New Hardware Found,
> USB Controller and that was it. It seems to be working OK but do I need
> install the Adaptec drivers or am I OK with the Win2k drivers?

No, you don't need the drivers - Windows 2000 has USB 2.0 support in SP4.

> I believe if you want USB 2, not USB 1.1, you need Adaptec's drivers. 2000
> did not have native USB2 support.

Ah, good to know.
"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> No, you don't need the drivers - Windows 2000 has USB 2.0 support in SP4.

> > I believe if you want USB 2, not USB 1.1, you need Adaptec's drivers.
2000
> > did not have native USB2 support.

Nivek

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2001

Thanks for the info. I was wondering because the install process didn't go
much like the instructions said it was supposed to. It was 'New Hardware
Found' on the screen for a second or two then 'USB 2.0 Controller' and that
was it. If I wasn't watching the screen I would have missed the whole thing.
;-) I checked Device Manager and it's there so I guess that's all that
matters. Plus I noticed the date of the Win2k drivers are about a year
newer than what's available on the Adaptec website.