Question USB 2 to thunderbolt

pslarkin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Hello: does my subject question above fly at all? I have a perfectly working old DVD r/w external drive, with a usb 2 only output port. I would like to use it on my new alder lake laptop w/thunderbolt (and prob. usb c separate port also? I don't know, the laptop isn't here yet). And I am pretty sure there are overheating and other issues betw. usb 2 and usb c? Thank you.

USB-C is guaranteed to be compatible with USB 2.0, so you just need to find a USB-C to whatever the DVD drive takes. There's not going to be any issue with it. I've used plenty of non USB-C devices with USB-C and had no issues with it.

And unless the portable USB drive was made like in the last millennium, most portable drives use a standard USB profile, so there's no need to hunt for drivers.

pslarkin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
On the overheating...I think I remember asking about using a cable adapter USB C to USB 2 to plug into my A/C wall charger, so I could use my old charger w/new phone, & was warned against that (heating). Tx for advice, y'all. I will buy an adapter & try it out.

On the overheating...I think I remember asking about using a cable adapter USB C to USB 2 to plug into my A/C wall charger, so I could use my old charger w/new phone, & was warned against that (heating). Tx for advice, y'all. I will buy an adapter & try it out.
Overheating only happens on the charger or cable. However, you'd have to be buying the super cheap Chinese special for this to be a problem.