USB 2 to USB 3 conversion

Gavsta220986

Honorable
Nov 22, 2015
I want to get a fractal design define mini micro atx case. The only downfall i have with this case is that it only has one USB 3 connection on the top at the front and two USB 2 connection. I want a s more USB connections than USB 2 connections so would I bee better off getting a USB 2 to USB 3 adapter to connect the usb 2 cable to the adapter then connect the adapter to the USB 3 port on the motherboard so im using the two usb 2 ports for usb 3 connections instead of USB 2 and actually leave the USB 3 port unconnected or is there a way I can get the whole three to operate as USB 3?

Solution
A dual USB2.0 front panel needs to use 9 pins while a dual USB3.0 front panel needs 20 pins. The deficit in the pins alone will cripple the USB3.0 adapter to operate at USB2.0 speeds. Also using one adapter for the USB 3.0 would just mean more cable clutter since one USB3.0 to USB2.0 adater like this will naturally give you two USB ports but the USB3.0 ports will effectively be working as USB2.0 ports. My suggestion is that you look at the Corsair 350D or the Coolermaster N200 and pick up the adapter linked above and you will have little cable clutter to deal with.

Mind sharing your full system's specs?

P.S: You could pick up a USB3.0 add-on card if you have the necessary lanes on your board...?

Lutfij

Titan
A dual USB2.0 front panel needs to use 9 pins while a dual USB3.0 front panel needs 20 pins. The deficit in the pins alone will cripple the USB3.0 adapter to operate at USB2.0 speeds. Also using one adapter for the USB 3.0 would just mean more cable clutter since one USB3.0 to USB2.0 adater like this will naturally give you two USB ports but the USB3.0 ports will effectively be working as USB2.0 ports. My suggestion is that you look at the Corsair 350D or the Coolermaster N200 and pick up the adapter linked above and you will have little cable clutter to deal with.

Mind sharing your full system's specs?

P.S: You could pick up a USB3.0 add-on card if you have the necessary lanes on your board...?

Solution