USB 3.0-Based 2.5" Hard Disks From Adata, Hitachi, And WD

Status
Not open for further replies.

thezooloomaster

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]how fast is usb3? i mean real world, say you put a ssd in the best enclosure, what would it do?[/citation]

The theoretical bandwidth of USB 3.0 is roughly 625 MB/s, but this speed is rarely achieved -- even with the fastest hardware -- because the bus relies on a protocol for transferring data which is poorly optimized and eats up a chunk of the bandwidth.

shahrooz

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]how fast is usb3? i mean real world, say you put a ssd in the best enclosure, what would it do?[/citation]
I get like 70~140 MB/s (copying from WD my passport 1TB to my WD HDD (7200rpm black))
and I get 30~40 MB/s copying from USB 2 WD my book 2TB to ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

willyroc

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
[citation][nom]shahrooz[/nom]I get like 70~140 MB/s (copying from WD my passport 1TB to my WD HDD (7200rpm black))and I get 30~40 MB/s copying from USB 2 WD my book 2TB to ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[/citation]
USB 3 is more than twice as fast as USB 2.

tridon

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I'm sitting here, daydreaming about a Velociraptor external drive. Maybe that would be able to use the USB 3's capacity better, or maybe something's slightly wrong in my head for wishing for such a thing.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]willyroc[/nom]USB 3 is more than twice as fast as USB 2.[/citation]
Yeah but you're still limited to both the source and destination drive's read/write speed. So when copying from a HDD to an HDD, you're unlikely to exceed 140 MBps.

If you're copying from a SATA 3 SSD to a USB 3.0 SSD, then yes, you could see much faster speeds.

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]So... Theoretically USB 3.0 is faster than eSata, but in practice eSata is still the way to go?[/citation]
Yes.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]shahrooz[/nom]I get like 70~140 MB/s (copying from WD my passport 1TB to my WD HDD (7200rpm black))and I get 30~40 MB/s copying from USB 2 WD my book 2TB to ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[/citation]

that 1tb is in a better case than the 2tb
what i have noticed with usb 3 is that, yes while its theoretical max is higher than current hdd and ssds should achieve, the fact of the matter is they never hit that peak.

thats why im wondering, with an ssd, what is the best we can get usb3 to.
you proved that current normal hdds in a good case do not have a problem in usb 3, and for that i thank you.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]So... Theoretically USB 3.0 is faster than eSata, but in practice eSata is still the way to go?[/citation]

Well Yes and No... It really depends on your application, eSata may be faster, but USB is still more usable/universal.

If you're planning on using the drive for back up purposes eSata and know all the devices you are going to use it with support eSata, then it is probably the better solution.

If you want it for mobility purposes, transferring files to various destinations, USB is more reliable. First these usb3 drives are self powered, meaning no AC adapters to worry about, the PC provides the power, also since its backwards compatible with usb2.0 100% of the devices you want to plug into will work, eSata is great but its not nearly as widely adopted as usb... I'd rather transfer my files slowly at usb2.0 speeds to my destination system, than not at all due to a lack of eSata ports.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]Well Yes and No... It really depends on your application, eSata may be faster, but USB is still more usable/universal. If you're planning on using the drive for back up purposes eSata and know all the devices you are going to use it with support eSata, then it is probably the better solution. If you want it for mobility purposes, transferring files to various destinations, USB is more reliable. First these usb3 drives are self powered, meaning no AC adapters to worry about, the PC provides the power, also since its backwards compatible with usb2.0 100% of the devices you want to plug into will work, eSata is great but its not nearly as widely adopted as usb... I'd rather transfer my files slowly at usb2.0 speeds to my destination system, than not at all due to a lack of eSata ports.[/citation]

from what i understand.
a usb3 case that takes full advantage of the harddive is hard to find, much less cheap
how ever a esata case can be found for under 30$

so really it comes to how you are going to use the hdd...

personally i want to take all moving parts out of my computer besides fans, so i could go with esata and be happy, but if you want more or less a guarentee that you will be able to hood that drive up to almost anything you can think of, even a bad usb3 case would be better.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
@Fennec
You probably have USB 2.0 devices, paired with a motherboard with a not really good (or without proper drivers) Chipset. Most USB 2 can reach up to 30 to 40, as stated earlier, but this is with higher tier chipsets.

A note to some people about eSATA, as of SATA 2.0 it's no different from regular SATA. It has a different connector as it supports a shielded cable that allows for longer connections, it also allows for a slightly higher signaling voltage. In all other aspects it's identical to using a SATA connector on the inside of your PC. You can find eSATA brackets for $15 USD which allow you to turn any SATA port into an eSATA port, most BIOS's even support the disconnect command for it (set port to removable). For that reason alone eSATA will be the better bus for bulk data transfer, it having proper DMA support (vs the hacked method of USB) is icing on the cake.

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Looks like if you already have a Firewire 800 drive and card then there isn't much reason to drop coin for a USB 3.0 drive.

thezefen

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
i have a question, why my adata hd710 only can transfer at max speed 24mbps.
even when i plug the hdd into my usb3 slot
anyone can help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.