Question usb 3.0 case front panel

nicolodo

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013
USB headers/case

Hi I'm building a PC but I have a doubt about USB and the case/headers interface.

i have found various case that can be compatible with my needs BUT i have a big doubt.

In the spec of case is often reported a generic "front usb 3.0 port or front usb 3.0 type c port".
They don't specific if the A-sub port are USB 3.2 Gen 1x1 or USB 3.2 Gen 2x1, the same for usb-c port they don't specify "USB 3.2 Gen 1x2 or USB 3.2 Gen 2x2" .

Instead in the headers of mb is always indicated the usb GEN version.

From here my question:

If i connect the usb port of case generally referred to as USB 3.0 in the mb headers 19- pin (or Type E, it's the same) i will have the speed of usb spec on the header or not ?.

E.G
A case where it's spec is usb 3.2 gen 1x1, i connect the wires of case in the header of mb with the usb 3.2 gen 2x1 spec. I will have a speed of usb 3.2 gen 1x1 or gen 1x2 ?

I'm thinking that the producers of case Insert “random “ specifications of the usb 3 to appear better in the google seo search engine.

I don’t understand why the case producers not indicate the spec of their usb 3 port, maybe they are irrilevant?

Thx for the explanation.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
In the spec of case is often reported a generic "front usb 3.0 port or front usb 3.0 type c port".
If it is listed as USB 3.0, then it is USB 3.0, regardless if it is type-A or type-C port. You still get USB 3.0 speeds of max 5 Gbps (625 MB/s).
If you like, you can name USB 3.0 as "USB 3.1 Gen 1" or "USB 3.2 Gen 1" if you so desire for fancier name, but in the end of the day, it still will be USB 3.0.

I don’t understand why the case producers not indicate the spec of their usb 3 port, maybe they are irrilevant?
They do list it, when USB port does match the speed of specific USB revision.

E.g Phanteks Enthoo Pro (stunning full-tower ATX case btw),
specs: https://phanteks.com/product/enthoo-pro-tg/#Specifications

Has clearly listed in the specs, that:
Front I/O
1x USB-C 3.2 Gen 2
2x USB 3.0
mic
reset
power

USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 = type-C port, with max speed of 10 Gbps (1250 MB/s or 1.2 GB/s)

They don't specific if the A-sub port are USB 3.2 Gen 1x1 or USB 3.2 Gen 2x1
USB type-A port can not be any faster than 5 Gbps (625 MB/s). This is the limit of type-A port. It can be named as "USB 3.1 Gen 1" or "USB 3.2 Gen 1" as well, but it still is just plain USB 3.0.

If you want faster speeds than 5 Gbps, then you have to have type-C port. Type-C port speeds can be: 5 Gbps, 10 Gbps, 20 Gbps and the latest (USB4) 40 Gbps.

If i connect the usb port of case generally referred to as USB 3.0 in the mb headers 19- pin (or Type E, it's the same) i will have the speed of usb spec on the header or not ?.
Internal USB 3.0 header, ending with 2x type-A ports, have the USB 3.0 speeds of 5 Gbps (625 MB/s).

A case where it's spec is usb 3.2 gen 1x1, i connect the wires of case in the header of mb with the usb 3.2 gen 2x1 spec. I will have a speed of usb 3.2 gen 1x1 or gen 1x2 ?
Speeds would be the max what USB port on PC case supports.
When MoBo internal type-C header is USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 = 10 Gbps
And when PC case type-C port is USB 3.2 Gen 1 = 5 Gbps
Then speeds will be 5 Gbps.

Btw, there is no such thing as USB 3.2 Gen 1x1.
Further reading: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/usb-3-2-explained

Last edited: