USB 3.0 header broken, looking to buy new motherboard

Mervil

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
Recently, I managed to break a pin off of my motherboards usb 3.0 header. Now, one of the front panel usb 3.0 ports doesn't work.
While I could simply put up with it, I don't want to.
I'd like to either fix it (if that's a possibility) or buy a new motherboard.

My current (and broken) motherboard is the ASRock z170 pro4s. I love this board, im going to miss it. In addition, I'm using the Intel Core i5-6600k with G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4-2400 8gb x2 (total of 16gb). My graphics card is a Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 (PCIe 3.0) and I'm using a wireless card TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 that utilizes a PCIe x1 slot.

While researching this, I have found that intel has since released a 200 series chipset, which is backwards compatible with my skylake. Because the 100 series and 200 series chipset boards are pretty much the same price, I'd like to just buy a 200 series chipset board.

But I've never really been knowledgeable when it comes to upgrades, overclocking, etc. I'm not looking to overclock really (maybe a LITTLE). I'm also not looking to upgrade my whole system--just the motherboard if I can get away with it. One of the things that concerns me is I don't know what the specifications of the boards mean. In particular, will my current parts be compatible? I don't know what "memory standard" means, I don't know what M.2 is. How much should I worry about SATA (I have 2 HDD, 1 SDD, and 1 DVD burner connected via SATA) or SATA-express?
I just purchased and placed three Corsair HD120 RGB fans, as my previous case fans burned out (hence the broken USB header pin during all the rearranging). Should I get a board with an RGB controller? I'm currently using the Corsair Lighting Node Pro to control the color and brightness of the fans, and this requires a USB 2.0 header to operate, so this is something I need to consider as well.

I've been looking at this board here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157738. Will my memory sticks work with this board? What about my Lighting Node Pro and SATA devices? Is there a comparable board that might be a bit cheaper? or a better board on sale?
Thank you everyone!

Solution
The card worked well for us.
I had damaged the pins trying to get the stiff cable into a small space.
I don't know why those 20 pin cables need to be so very stiff.

As to the ram, the real max details will be in your motherboard specs. The particular cpu may make a difference also.
Generally, the motherboard will boot into bios at the default DDR4 speed of 2133 or 2400 and 1.2v.
From there, you can select a higher speed via XMP settings, up to the speed spec of your ram.
XMP sets the voltage, speed and cas numbers using a profile imbedded in the ram.
Speeds greater than 2400 are done by using higher than 1.2v for the ram. Usually 1.35v.

What this means for you is not to worry.
Any DDR4 ram will work and you can optionally set it to...

Mervil

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013

Because my case is under my desk, and I change out flash drives and external HDDs often enough that it would be a bummer to get down under my desk to get access to the back of my PC. I have 6 back panel 3.0 slots as it is.
Besides, I don't consider either of those to be concerns. I like the "work" and I can easily reformat my OS drive and reinstall windows. Will do this anyway to make sure all the MoBo drivers are correct.

Mervil

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
That card looks great, thank you! So it looks like it has a 20-pin connector to attach my USB 3.0 front panel cable to it to make my front panel functional again?

I am still researching and window shopping. For the board I linked above, this is stated in the specifications regarding the Memory:
"Supports DDR4 3866+(OC)*/3733(OC)/3600(OC)/3200 (OC)/2933(OC)/2800(OC)/2400**/2133 non-ECC, unbuffered memory
** 7th Gen Intel® CPU supports DDR4 up to 2400; 6th Gen Intel® CPU supports DDR4 up to 2133".

What exactly does this mean for me using a 6th gen Intel CPU and DDR4-2400 RAM?

The card worked well for us.
I had damaged the pins trying to get the stiff cable into a small space.
I don't know why those 20 pin cables need to be so very stiff.

As to the ram, the real max details will be in your motherboard specs. The particular cpu may make a difference also.
Generally, the motherboard will boot into bios at the default DDR4 speed of 2133 or 2400 and 1.2v.
From there, you can select a higher speed via XMP settings, up to the speed spec of your ram.
XMP sets the voltage, speed and cas numbers using a profile imbedded in the ram.
Speeds greater than 2400 are done by using higher than 1.2v for the ram. Usually 1.35v.

What this means for you is not to worry.
Any DDR4 ram will work and you can optionally set it to running at a higher speed

Solution