USB 3.0 Hub that acts as NAS Controller?

bigbrain28

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
I am looking for advice on either an inexpensive version, or properly priced yet highly capable version of the following type of device;

A USB 3.0 hub (3 or more input ports) with a Gigabit Ethernet Port. When this device is connected to my router, all connected HDDs will be shared on my home network. The device needs to act as a NAS controller and share attached storage automatically on a Windows 10 based network.

Background;

I currently have a Pi3 running OpenElec & Kodi TV 16. I have a USB 3.0 hub connected to the Pi3 and 2 HDDs connected to the hub. Previously, I could see the HDDs on the network and copy files to them, this functionality has ceased. It was also slow, due to the Pi3 being a bottleneck.

I am looking for a fast device to act as a 'diskless' NAS that can allow me to write across my network at higher speeds to any attached (to the hub-NAS) drives.

Most of what I have found is pricey and has only USB 2.0 or only one port.

Thanks for any help!

Solution
I had an earlier model of this Addonics' product a few years ago. Only connected to one HDD drive as a NAS. A second USB port supported only a printer. Worked well for my needs at the time and it was eventually donated to another cause.

However this model seems to offer multiple drive support via the "Port Multipliers".

http://www.addonics.com/products/nas40esu.php

Not sure about the specifics and any "fine print" stuff. Or if the $89.00 is "pricey" from your perspective.....

Check Addonic's website - see if you can download the NAS40ESU User Guide/Manual for more details. And check the FAQs and Addonics forums as well.

Ralston18

Titan
I had an earlier model of this Addonics' product a few years ago. Only connected to one HDD drive as a NAS. A second USB port supported only a printer. Worked well for my needs at the time and it was eventually donated to another cause.

However this model seems to offer multiple drive support via the "Port Multipliers".

http://www.addonics.com/products/nas40esu.php

Not sure about the specifics and any "fine print" stuff. Or if the $89.00 is "pricey" from your perspective.....

Check Addonic's website - see if you can download the NAS40ESU User Guide/Manual for more details. And check the FAQs and Addonics forums as well.

Solution