USB 3.0 monitor good for gaming?

Goofygiggles

Honorable
Apr 18, 2015
Hello! I was planning to get a AOC e1759Fwu monitor for portable gaming with a GTX 750TI. I was wondering (this monitor is used over USB 3.0) if that would be a problem? Like USB 3.0 being a bottleneck to response time or FPS and I also wanted to make sure that the games that would run on it WOULD USE the GTX 750TI. Thanks!

Solution
It depends on their drivers, but as far as I know, all of the USB display adapters use the CPU for rendering. They really aren't suitable for gaming. They work well for mostly static images. The more complex the scene and the more it changes, the more load it will place on the CPU.
It depends on their drivers, but as far as I know, all of the USB display adapters use the CPU for rendering. They really aren't suitable for gaming. They work well for mostly static images. The more complex the scene and the more it changes, the more load it will place on the CPU.

Solution

Goofygiggles

Honorable
Apr 18, 2015

Ive never heard that before. If i don't get any other replies, ill take your word for it and give you the solution ;) - Thanks!

The driver basically takes every frame that needs to be displayed and encodes it into some sort of H.264 stream. If you have a CPU or GPU that supports hardware encoding (Intel QuickSync and the like) the driver should be able to take advantage of that. It then sends the compressed display stream over USB where the adapter decodes and displays the stream. The USB3 adapters are much better than the USB2 ones because they don't have to compress the image nearly as much, but it's still doing way more work than a native display. The more motion/change in the display stream, the worse the performance will be.

Goofygiggles

Honorable
Apr 18, 2015

Thanks! What is a good portable monitor that isn't usb for $50-$140 that you know of? Thanks!